Tablescapes, Sunflower Table and Fiesta Chowder

Sunflowers!  I couldn’t resist setting a table in their honor.

sunflower centerpiece thepaintedapron.com

sunflower tablescape thepaintedapron.com

mixed patterns thepaintedapron.com

sunflower table 4 thepaintedapron.com

We had some soup~

sunflower place setting thepaintedapron.com

Fiesta Soup of course!

soup tureen thepaintedapron.com

Cooking wasn’t a priority this week

sunflower table thepaintedapron.com

But I made this main dish soup in minutes

sunflower table 4 thepaintedapron.com

I actually used the leftover Fiesta Corn Dip but you can easily use the substitute ingredients listed below to make this satisfying, yet surprisingly light potato corn chowder.

fiesta soup thepaintedapron.com

Here’s the recipe:

FIESTA CHOWDER      for a printable version click here

1 30 oz. bag of frozen, shredded hash browns {I used Ore Ida}

3 cups chicken broth OR vegetable stock

1 can  Cream of Mushroom soup, OR Cream of Celery or Cream of Chicken

grated sharp Cheddar & freshly grated Parmesan, chopped chives for garnish

2 cups leftover Fiesta Dip OR SUBSTITUTE:

1/2 cup sauteed chopped onion

1/2 cup sauteed chopped red pepper

8oz. low fat cream cheese {don’t use fat free.  It WON’T melt!!!}

1 can corn drained

1 can diced green chilies, drained

1/4 tsp. ground pepper

In a crockpot, combine soup and broth. Season with seasoned salt and pepper.  Add frozen potatoes.  Cook for 4 hours on low heat.  Add leftover fiesta dip or add the substitute ingredients.  Cook for 2-3 more hours, stirring every hour.  If you want to cook this on high, add the dip or substitutions after 3 hours and cook 1 more hour.  Serves 5-6

sunflowers thepaintedapron.com

Have a wonderful Laborless Weekend!!

___________________________________

Sources:

sunflower “place mats” are bandanas from Hobby Lobby [$2]

“napkins”, 1 dish cloth, World Market, cut in 1/2

soup tureens BBB

polka dot plates Amazon.com 2012

rattan chargers Overstock.com 2012

painted wine bottle tutorial click here

_____________________________________

I’ll be joining these fab parties:

Huckleberry Love

Uncommon Designs

The Dedicated House

A Stroll Thru Life

The Gunny Sack

Love Bakes Good Cakes

Savvy Southern Style

Worthing Court

The Style Sisters

Stone Gable

Easy Life

Between Naps on the Porch

Rattlebridge Farm

It’s Overflowing

Comments
32 Responses to “Tablescapes, Sunflower Table and Fiesta Chowder”
  1. Rettabug says:

Love, Love, LOVE it, Jenna!!! I’m a nut for polka-dots in ANY color but I would kill for some black & white ones. Can you see me running over to Amazon right now to shop? LOL

Very pretty combinations of colors & textures.
    Your soup sounds good, too. I’m saving the recipe for a chilly autumn day. Thanks!

Jenna, I love your sunflower table! Your bandana placemats are wonderful and oh so clever to cut those dishtowels for napkins! Hope you’re enjoying some R&R after all your fiesta festivities. Using the leftover dip for a base for the soup is brilliant! Hope you have a delicious and fun Labor Day weekend!

3. Love it all! Very pretty combos! My 10 foot sunflowers just landed on the ground during a storm;-(

4. Pat says:

Jenna,
    Gorgeous Sunflower tablescape, dear one!!!
    I L O V E Sunflowers and yours caught my eye while visiting Marty’s!!!
    We grow them here on the Prairie and this year we are abundantly blessed
    with large quantiites and varieties!!!
    Thank you for this beautiful tablescape featuring My State Flower!!!
    fondly,
    Pat

5. Love the colors and those sunflowers are wonderful….love your table!

6. hollybertone says:

Hi Jenna – I love sunflowers and polka dots. But would have never thought to put the sunflowers and black polka dots together. Of course you thought of it… you are fabulous and come up with the most beautiful creations! I think we have a sunflower ready to bloom outside. It’s either that or a giant weed to heaven. Hummmm……. Hugs, Holly @ coconutheadsurvivalguide

7. Kelly says:

Lovely tablescape! Sunflowers are one of my favorites!

8. What a beautiful tablescape- great sunflower decor!

9. Jennifer says:

Love the black and white with sunflowers!

10. Beautiful table. How clever to use bandannas for place mats. And I jotted down the recipe, I think I’ll make it tonight, sounds great. Take care – Dawn @ We Call It Junkin

11. I absolutely love this table! I was recently thinking about some dishes I have with zebra and cheeta prints and wishing I could find a way to mix them together with something organic. This is very inspirational for me! Love those placemats and your sunflowers in the bottles. Please stop by my post too. I also featured sunflowers!

12. Christine says:

I love all the patterns and the colors. Very pretty!…Christine

13. Diane says:

Beautiful table and you did a wonderful job using the black and yellow together! All of the sunflowers are just so pretty – love the placemats!! Thanks for the recipe – sounds delicious!

14. Maria says:

What a clever centerpiece! I played with sunflowers a couple of weeks ago, and I’m so glad you did a post with them because I just haven’t gotten them out of my system yet. That soup looks yummy! Your table looks so welcoming! What time is dinner again?

15. Jennie says:

So much gorgeousness here — I love the mix of textures with the sunflower as the unifying theme. Beautiful!

16. dianne says:

Clever lady! I love the painted wine bottles and plan to copy them ASAP! Wonderfully festive table. dianne

17. Ann K says:

Really??!!!?? Those placemats are Hobby Lobby bandanas!! They look fabulous!! This is such a fun table – It was nice seeing your wine bottles again – they look great on this table!!

• Yes, this is my new secret find! In the crafts section where the doll parts etc. stuff is they have TONS of bandanas in all colors and prints! $1 each! I bought flag ones that I used for my 4th of July table earlier this year, so be sure to check it out next time you go!

18. Bev says:

Love, love, love! This is one of the most striking tablescapes I’ve seen. Your colors and sunflowers are gorgeous.

19. lulu says:

This is a very fun table, and, of course, you’ve used my favorite kind of flower containers….bottles! Sunflowers brighten any table.

20. Oh what a beautiful table. Such charming details. I love what you have chosen for napkins. Everything is so perfect. I will have to try your recipe.