Take-out Tuesday, Apple, Pear, Ham & Bleu Cheese Tart

One of my favorite quiche recipe is Pear and Gorgonzola Quiche.  Pears and Bleu cheese are a perfect marriage in my book,  so I decided to tweak it a little and try it with ham instead of bacon,  and add some apple

apple, pear and ham quiche

It’s sweet and savory, with a flavor boost of bleu cheese*

The caramelized fruit is the perfect counter balance to the salty ham

*If you don’t like bleu cheese, substitute cheddar, swiss or any cheese you like

ham thepaintedapron.com

Spiral sliced ham  has so much more flavor than packaged or deli ham.  I buy a spiral half ham 2-3 times a year, and freeze the leftovers in divided packages.   It’s handy to pull one out for another dinner, or to make a quiche or casserole,  ham biscuits or sandwiches

ham

I used a refrigerated pie dough round for the crust.  You can sauté the ham first if you like, before adding the fruit to a skillet to soften

Cook the pear and apple slices in a little butter and/or ham renderings until they soften.

Layer everything in the pie crust

Pour the milk and egg mixture over all and put in to oven to bake for 45-60 minutes

apple, pear, ham and bleu cheese tart

I didn’t take many prep photos, there was a lot going on

IMG_3517

1 honeycrisp or gala apple

4 eggs, lightly beaten

salt & pepper

1 cup half and half or milk

4 oz. bleu cheese crumbled, or substitute any cheese you like

1 refrigerated pie crust dough round

Melt butter and cook shallot and ham in a large skillet.  Add brown sugar and cook and stir about 3 minutes until bubbly and starting to caramelize. Add pear slices and saute 3-5 minutes until tender.  Pour mixture into crust.  Sprinkle with bleu cheese.  Combine cream and eggs, season with salt and pepper,  and pour over ingredients in crust.  Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes until golden and set in center.    Let sit for a few minutes before serving.

apple, pear, ham and bleu cheese tart

Yummmmm…  warm and satisfying  🍲

for another printable version of Apple, Pear, Ham & Bleu Cheese Tart click here

Here’s another satisfying pie you might want to try No Guilt Phyllo Pie

vegetable tart in phyllo thepaintedapron.com

It’s full of colorful veggies and the crust is made with layers of phyllo dough

Hope you’re staying warm and cozy!

_____________________________

I will be joining these fabulous parties and blogs

Celebrate and Decorate, It’s Overflowing, Rustic and Refined,

Between Naps on the Porch, Coastal Charm, Cooking and Crafting with J&J, Project Inspire, The Scoop, Something to Talk AboutA Stroll Thru Life    Inspire Me Monday

Crafty Staci,   Tickle My TastebudsWow Us Wednesday

Creative Ways, Favorite Things, Full Plate Thursday, Share Your Style, Work it Wednesday

Home Matters, Idea BoxWeekend Retreat,

Comments
18 Responses to “Take-out Tuesday, Apple, Pear, Ham & Bleu Cheese Tart”
  1. Love the swat team photo!!

The pear tart looks great! Love the pear/cheese combo. Yum!

2. marilyn the nurse says:

Hi, This looks like a delicious pie. I have a question ??? do you bake the crust or not before filling in.. You don’t mention baking the crust until the printed form of recipe and they you say “baked crust” only once. Would you clarify? Thanks -really want to bake this.

• hi Marilyn, I am so sorry for the confusion! No, you don’t need to pre-bake the crust, thank you so much for pointing this typo out. I have fixed it on the post and the printable. I hope you enjoy this, and by the way, any leftovers freeze beautifully and can be reheated in a 350 oven. thanks again!

Jenna, Looks like the SWAT team has you covered 🙂 Love the combo of flavors in your quiche, blue cheese with pear is a favorite for us!

Well at least you were safe while you were cooking! The tart sounds great, I’d like to start mixing fruit into a few savory things:@)

5. Marigene says:

Jenna, you have the best recipes…blue cheese is my favorite, be it Gorgonzola, Maytag, Stilton or Roquefort and you are right it is perfect with fruits, especially pears. Your tart sounds delicious…and refrigerated pie crusts are the only way to go!
    Hurry up and feed the SWAT team!

6. This just looks absolutely delicious!

7. Hi there, this would be a super contribution to Food on Friday: Cheese over at Carole’s Chatter. Cheers

8. Karen says:

What a savory and delicious sounding tart.

Your Swat Team looks adorable! We would just love your Apple Pear Ham Bleu Cheese Tart, it looks fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week and come back to see us real soon!

10. I wish this was at my house right now! This is wonderful! Well, it sounds wonderful! I wish it was in my kitchen right now! I am pinning this and sharing over on FB and Twitter! Thank you so much for sharing at Celebrate Your Story!

11. JESS44903 says:

Oh wow…this sounds so delicious!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

12. Julie says:

Yes I agree with Jess. This looks and sounds so delicious.
    Thanks Jenna for sharing your awesome recipes and projects each week with us at Cooking and Crafting with J & J. Enjoy the rest of the week.
    Julie xo

13. Sandra Garth says:

The Swat team is too cute and this tart looks amazing! Do you deliver? Thanks for joining us at Celebrate Your Story!

1. […] Apple Pear Ham and Bleu Cheese Tart is a one dish meal you will welcome on a chilly night […]