Take-out Tuesday, Enchilada Rice Casserole

Do you eat black eyed peas for luck on New Year’s Day?

I am not a fan, so we had “mock black eyed peas,” aka black beans,

baked into a cheesy enchilada rice casserole

A great way to kick off 2018!

Lots of favorite Mexican flavors baked together in a casserole rather than a tortilla

Let the rice simmer while you prepare the vegetables

Saute onion

Add seasonings

Drain and rinse corn and beans

Add them to the onions in the skillet along with enchilada sauces

Combine vegetables with rice in a prepared casserole dish

Top with cheese

Bake now, or cover, refrigerate and bake within 48 hours

Optional:  add cooked chicken, ground beef, pork, or sausage

This recipe was adapted from Damn Delicious

1 can, 10 oz. red enchilada sauce

1 can, 10 oz. green enchilada sauce

1 can, 14 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed

1 can, 14 oz. whole kernel yellow corn, drained

1 cup grated Mexican blend cheese

1 cup grated sharp cheddar

Cook rice according to package directions.  While rice is cooking saute onion in butter and olive oil until transparent and soft.  Add garlic and cook and stir 1 minute.  Add seasonings and stir in beans and corn.  Add enchilada sauce and rice.*

Transfer rice mixture to a large greased casserole dish and stir in Mexican cheese.  Top with cheddar.  Refrigerate, covered, up to 48 hours before baking.  Bake at 350 degrees 30-40 minutes until hot and bubbling.

*If you want to serve this right away, add cheeses to skillet, cover skillet and let cook for 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted.

Note: this is not spicy at all so kick it up with chilies, hot sauce or jalapenos if desired.

Olé!

for another printable version of Enchilada Rice Bake click here

🌽   🌮   🧀   🌽   🌮   🧀

Rustic and RefinedBetween Naps on the Porch,   Make it Pretty Monday

Coastal Charm,   Cooking and Crafting with J&J,    Celebrate and Decorate,

Delicious Dishes Recipe Party   Oh My Heartsie Girl   Full Plate Thursday

Thursday Favorite Things  Creatively Crafty  Foodie Friday & Everything Else

Home Matters    Share it One More Time   Sundays at Home

Comments
19 Responses to “Take-out Tuesday, Enchilada Rice Casserole”

Sound delicious Jenna! We ate our black-eyed peas last night in hummus form while watching the Sugar Bowl and crying in our beer 🙂

Sounds like a hearty meal for a cold night:@)

3. We haven’t made Mexican/tex-Mex in a long time. And I think that time is about to come to an end!

sounds delish! I have heard that black eyed peas are the southern good luck new year food. In our neck of the woods, it is pork and sauerkraut. Funny – eh? And yep – that is what we ate yesterday.

Great recipe, I love your taco art!

6. Jenna, this looks absolutely delicious! We are back on Whole30 today and it will be hard to start back after all the wonderful food! I know you are excited that we are in the national championship game! RTR🅰️

7. Karen says:

Your “mock black-eyed peas” gave me a smile. My husband isn’t crazy about them either so would be very happy eating your alternative. 🙂 Happy New Year and lots of good luck.

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten black-eyed peas… love black beans and this recipe! Thanks Jenna! 🙂

9. Ricki Treleaven says:

LOL I made a black eyed pea casserole, too, and it was Tex Mex! It had rice, Rotel, spinach, bacon, onion, and cheddar cheese in it.

Wasn’t the game great! Roll Tide Roll!

Happy New Year!
    Ricki Jill

10. Looks wonderful and yes, I made black eyed peas and collards…our traditional meal on New Year’s…along with long noodles for long life!….I wish you and your family and most happy and healthy New Year!!!!

Oh I am so ready for something different and this sure fits the bill, looks delicious Jenna. What a game!!!!!

12. debra cantales says:

I know you are excited that you are in the national championship game! I’ve never had black eyed peas 🙂

13. Julie says:

Hello Jenna and Happy New Year. This recipe sounds so good. I would love to make this sometime.
    Have a great week.
    Julie

A perfect dish for this ice cold weather we are having! Happy to see you here at Full Plate Thursday and thanks so much for sharing with us.

1. […] Enchilada Rice Skillet from Damn Delicious became Enchilada Rice Casserole […]

w