Fearless Friday, Ranunculus x 3

I treated myself to a new set of watercolor pens for an early Mother’s Day gift and I have had much fun playing with them, look at these beautiful colors!

note: even if your pens or paints come with a printed color chart, always swatch your own colors for reference, and it’s a good idea to laminate your chart for protection and durability

A couple weeks ago I did a fast and loose watercolor of a bunch of colorful ranunculus I found at Trader Joe’s

So pretty!!

The first painting  was done with traditional watercolors in a fast loose style

The second painting was done with Arteza watercolor brush pens,

working more slowly and adding more details

Which one do you like better?

As you can see in the collages below, #1 was done more quickly with fewer steps:

For #2, I went a little slower and added more details

I work on a watercolor block pad, which to me is easier than taping the paper to a board, but sometimes the paper does warp a bit- as you can see above when I added the green background wash–but once it dries it lays down flat again

And

Just for fun I did the same painting a third time with markers on marker paper.  Marker paper is slick, {it’s also bleedproof}  and I tend to paint quickly as the markers glide along the paper

So…

What do you think?

Which one do you like the best?

#1, traditional watercolor, #2 watercolor brush pens,

or #3 marker pens?

If you have time,

please leave a comment

and tell me which one you like the best and why…

Being an artist is a constant learning experience,

and we all help each other grow

Hmmm…. I think I need to do this in acrylic…

Happy Creating, Be Fearless!

Juicy Details

Arteza 96 watercolor brush pen set/amazon.com

self adhesive laminating sheets/amazon.com

You will need a waterbrush pen or a watercolor brush and a small container of water for blending the watercolor brush pens

Arches watercolor paper block, cold press 140 lb./amazon.com

markers: I have a hodge podge of markers, but I recommend this Ohuhu set, great colors and value, 120 markers for about $65/amazon.com

Bianyo Bleedproof Marker Paper Pad/amazon.com

🎨 🌹 🎨

Meal Plan Monday  Dishing it & Digging it,   Between Naps on the Porch,

Merry Monday   Make it Pretty Monday    Celebrate and Decorate,

Tasty Tuesday   Oh My Heartsie Girl  Full Plate Thursday

Weekend Potluck   Sweet Inspirations   Happiness is Homemade

Comments
47 Responses to “Fearless Friday, Ranunculus x 3”
  1. charlotte says:

I prefer #2, watercolor brush pen rendition. With the green colorwash background, it looks more “finished” and I like the details. Lovely work, Jenna!

Have a great Friday!

2. Ann Woleben says:

I am always in awe of your art. You make it look so easy! I like #2 best for the details, fullness and a more finished appearance. I try to follow your strokes for using my watercolors, but of course, my “finished” piece never resembles yours. I’ll keep trying! Any suggestions for sketching and painting birds?

• hi Ann, I haven’t ever painted birds, but one thing I can suggest is to look at other artists renditions {try searching Pinterest for bird paintings} as well as real birds and then practice, practice, practice, doing pencil sketches to get the proportions right 🦅

3. I agree, #2 looks more finished with greater detail and would be my choice. I like the softer look of the traditional watercolor too, though.

4. Bonnie Morgan says:

I agree I am also in awe of your painting talent.
    Ranunculus are such beautiful flowers. Wish they were within my grasp to buy.
    Wishing you a happy day!

5. CoziNest says:

You are so talented! Great ideas. I took my first of three art classes 3 weeks ago. I’ll store away this idea of swatching my colors.

6. Such amazing colors, your picture turned out beautiful!!

You had a Ranunculus kind of day…beautiful art!

8. Jenna, first off I have ranunculus envy! I prefer # 2 for color and detail. You are so creative and talented my friend! Happy and Fearless Friday!

9. Michelle says:

Beautiful! I like #2 best. 🙂

10. They each have their own appeal! I love the simplicity of the watercolor, but for depth of color, I love the watercolor brush pen. Each is a delight! Thank you for your generosity of information, inspiration, and examples through your talent.

11. Julie says:

Hi Jenna, oh how fun you bought yourself a Mothers Day gift of new markers. I love #2 and #3. You do such beautiful art work. Have a wonderful weekend and a Happy Mother’s Day.

12. Shelia says:

Love them all, but #2 is my fave–I’m just a detail woman.

Have a Happy Mother’s Day, Jenna!

13. Benita says:

Gorgeous!! Jenna, I love all three but my favorite is the watercolor brush pen. It just seems to be a little softer but has more detail. Hope you have a wonderful Mother’s Day weekend! Hugs!

14. Kari says:

Jenna, I have to go with the crowd, I love #2 but they are all pretty in their own way. I think #2 looks more like the original ranunculus which I love. Happy Mother’s Day my friend.

15. pattyanneart says:

They are all lovely, Jenna!
    My fav is #2 the watercolor brush. The bright pinks just sing and I love the combination of the dark and light greens. 💚🌸💗

16. Susan says:

I like #2 the watercolors brush pen best. It seems more vivid to me! But LOVE all your paintings!

17. Nancy says:

You truly amaze me! I like #2 the best because of the details. The colors are superb!

18. Gorgeous Jenna!!! You are so very talented!!!…My Sweetie was just accepted to the School of Arts…so excited for her!…Happy Mother’s Day…so enjoy your paintings!

My vote is for number 2 with the water colorbrush pens. I believe it has more detail, depth and I like the broad and narrow strokes of the stems and the light, pale green background makes the flowers all the more vivid. The other two are nicely done as well, but #2, is the best for me. (I made my choice before reading the others comments, but pleased to read that my thoughts were very close to the others. Great minds think alike, hehe.)

I prefer the first one as its simple design gives the idea of the flowers and lets the viewer add more if wanted.

21. I think I like the Arteza best. Which surprises me because I have such trouble with mine — just can’t seem to blend right — they dry so fast! But they look great, all of them!

I think I prefer your rendition with your new watercolor brush pens Jenna! What fun to have more tools to create with. ♥

I love them both, Jenna! 💗 It is fun to experiment with different materials for one subject. Something I need to do more of!! 🎨👍

1. […] I began adding color with a watercolor brush pen […]