Recipe Box, Sunflower Tomato Pie

A tray full of tomatoes just about commands a tomato pie!

Did you know that if you keep tomatoes stem side down they will last longer?

Do you store your tomatoes on the counter or in the fridge?

You can find important information about storing tomatoes here

I am calling this 🌻 Sunflower Tomato Pie 🌻 because

The yellow heirloom tomatoes remind me of sunflowers!

Different from many tomato pies that have a mayonnaise based or creamy filling

This tomato pie is made with pesto, bacon and Parmesan cheese

The first step is slicing the tomatoes, salting them and letting them drain on paper towels

This is important to prevent your pie from being watery

Change towels several times during the course of an hour or so {even longer if you can}

Pat slices thoroughly before adding to the pie

Cover the bottom of the baked pie crust with a layer of pesto

Top with a layer of cheese and bacon pieces

Next a layer of tomatoes topped with a dab of pesto

Repeat layers with more cheese and bacon

and then another layer of tomatoes

Top the final layer of tomatoes with more Parmesan and sprinkle with bread crumbs

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, covering the crust edges with foil to prevent further browning

Let pie sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving

Sunflower Tomato Pie

• Servings: 4-8

1 baked pie crust

2-3 large red and yellow heirloom tomatoes, sliced, salted and drained*

4 slices crispy bacon, broken into pieces, divided

1/3 cup basil pesto or more to taste

1/2-3/4 cup grated or shaved Parmesan cheese, divided

1/4 cup Italian seasoned fine bread crumbs

Spread pesto in the bottom of pie crust in an even layer.  Top with 1/3 of the Parmesan and 1/2 of the bacon.  Top with a layer of tomato slices.  Dot slices with a dab of pesto.  Repeat layers, ending with the final 1/3 of Parmesan and bread crumbs.  Refrigerate covered at this point for 1-2 hours before baking if desired.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, covering the pie crust edges with foil to prevent over browning.  Cut into wedges to serve.

*2 hours before assembling pie, slice tomatoes into fairly thick slices and lay out on a double layer of paper towels.  Salt slices thoroughly.  Every 30 minutes, change towels and pat tomatoes, and turn over to continue draining.

for another printable version of Sunflower Tomato Pie click here

Enjoy!

🍅🍅🍅

Meal Plan Monday  Dishing it & Digging itWhat’s for Dinner?

Between Naps on the PorchMake it Pretty Monday    Celebrate and Decorate,

Tasty Tuesday   Oh My Heartsie Girl  Full Plate Thursday

Weekend Potluck   Sweet Inspirations   Happiness is Homemade

Comments
27 Responses to “Recipe Box, Sunflower Tomato Pie”

Well this has my mouth watering! Love tomatoes and bacon! Yum!

2. Your version looks yummy!! I used yellow ones in my last tomato pie, too.

3. Michelle says:

I’ve never heard of sunflower tomato pie! This looks really good. And pretty, too!

4. Bonnie Morgan says:

Looks so yummy! Now, if I just had those tomatoes you were able to buy!

5. lulu says:

Funny you should post this today. I just bought beautiful tomatoes with which I am going to make a tart. I think I will add bacon as everything is better with bacon.

6. Rita C. says:

Oh my, my mouth is watering! That looks SO good. The hardest thing was deciding what category to put it in on my Pinterest Food board – appetizer, main dish or main meal?! I decided I could easily eat that as a main meal. And I keep my tomatoes on the counter – always!

• Thanks Rita, I think it’s a main dish because of the bacon… all it needs is a little salad. In the tomato storage article I linked to {Epicurious} it says that once your tomatoes are ripe you can refrigerate them but you need to remove them and let them come to room temp for a day or so before eating…I did not know that!

7. I didn’t know that but it’s a good idea and it makes sense — less soft surface touching a hard surface. This sounds really good. Added to the summer bounty list!

It does look like a sunflower!! So cheerful and delish too! 🌻💕

O M GGGGGGEEEEE! Yum!

10. A nice way to enjoy some garden tomatoes!

11. pattyanneart says:

Oh my that looks so delicious!! 😊🌼 Yum!!

12. Jenna, I love the idea of pesto rather than mayo. This looks like a new twist on the tomato pie. I will be trying it soon, I make my own pesto! Happy weekend!

13. helenfern says:

Those are some beautiful tomatoes! My garden only has the tiny ones right now, but I’m making this when the larger ones are ripened! Pinned!! Thanks for sharing at the What’s for Dinner party – hope to see you every week! Have a fabulous week ahead.

Delish Jenna, I would love a slice! 🍅