Take-out Tuesday, Overnight Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions

On Saturday, knowing Sunday was going to be a busy day at the baseball park, I decided it would be a good idea to put dinner together in advance, using the slow cooker…hmmm…what should I make?

I often put slow cooker meals together the day before, refrigerate the slow cooker insert so all I have to do is pop it in the base when I’m ready to start cooking

Onion Soup is a Fall favorite

It calls for simple ingredients that you probably have on hand

I used the hodge podge of onions and shallots I had in the fridge

The base of onion soup is caramelized onions

While this is an easy process, it does take a good 30 minutes or so…

I did a little research and found many recipes for slow cooker caramelized onions

Perfect!

I put the sliced onions into the vessel with

4 Tablespoons of butter and 1-2 Tablespoons bacon grease

{You can substitute olive oil for bacon grease}

Season with salt and pepper and a healthy dash of Worcestershire sauce

Talk about low and slow, slow cooker onions take 14 hours!

I started them in the afternoon,  and let them cook all night

In the morning they were golden and creamy

and the house was full of a magical aroma

From there I added the remaining soup ingredients

The soup cooked while we enjoyed Sunday afternoon baseball

A perfect Sunday supper after a chilly afternoon outside

You can make a batch of caramelized onions in advance,

they will keep in the refrigerator for a week to 10 days

Ready for soup day!

Slow Cooker Onions

• Servings: enough for 6 servings of soup

3 mixed large onions, yellow, white, red, or sweet

3 shallots

4 Tablespoons butter

2 Tablespoons bacon grease or olive oil

salt & pepper

2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Spray slow cooker with cooking oil spray.  Add butter and set to low. Slice onions and shallots and add to slow cooker.  Season well, add Worcestershire, and stir to mix.  Cover and cook overnight on low for 14 hours.  Onions can be refrigerated at this point and will keep for a week.  Use for onion soup or any recipe that calls for caramelized onions.

Try these favorite Onion Soup recipes

Click on the recipe title to go to the post and the recipe

Onion Soup with Rosemary Croutons

French Onion Soup with Gruyere and Bacon Croutons

French Onion Soup with Roasted Garlic Beer & Bacon

Slow Cooker French Onion Ravioli Soup

French Onion Soup Penne Pasta

French Onion Soup Bread Casserole

Can you tell I love French Onion Soup???

Enjoy!

for a another printable version of Overnight Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions click here

🥣🧀🥖

Meal Plan Monday  Love Your Creativity    What’s for Dinner?

Between Naps on the Porch,  Make it Pretty Monday

Turn About Tuesday  Celebrate Your Story, You’re the Star

All About Home/ Common Ground Follow the Yellow Brick Home

Tasty Tuesday   Oh My Heartsie Girl  Full Plate Thursday

Weekend Potluck  Friday Features  Sweet Inspirations

Happiness is Homemade    Sunday’s Best Linkup

Comments
26 Responses to “Take-out Tuesday, Overnight Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions”
  1. chef mimi says:

What a great idea! I don’t make onion soup (we both think it’s too messy!) but it would be good to have a huge load of caramelized onions around when I serve bratwurst! Thanks!

What a really great plan for your chilly day at the ballpark (what could be better) than coming home to a delicious onion soup. One of my favorites Jenna, I need to make this soon. And yes, love the way this makes the house smell so good………..

3. Sounds nice and easy, I love French Onion Soup:@)

4. Walking in the door and smelling dinner already prepared is a winner! I love onion soup, Jenna and this is a must try for a chilly evening!

5. Nancy says:

I bet that fragrance of onions caramelizing was amazing! I will give this a try as Onion Soup is a favorite in this house!

Delicious Jenna! I’ll have to blow the dust off my slow cooker and put it work 🙂

7. Awesome idea! Your soup sounds amazing!

8. Shannon@Belle Bleu Interiors says:

Your soup sounds yummy, Jenna. I love any opportunity to use my slow cooker. They are such a lifesaver! I love soup and make a soup recipe at least once a week during the fall and winter. I may just have to try this recipe. Take care, and enjoy your day!

9. Caramelized onions are one of my guilty pleasures and whenever I make onion soup, I make twice as many (partly for snacking, partly for other things). Oh, this is really a gem, Jenna. I usually enjoy cooking them stovetop but this is a nice set-it-and-forget-it hint so great for this busy season.

10. Jennifer Wise HM says:

What a great idea!! I’ve never thought of this. And I love carmelized onions! Pinning. 🙂
    #ohmyheartsiegirllinkup

11. creationsbycindyphotography.blogspot.com says:

You had me at slow cooker! I love using my slow cooker. Sure makes it nice especially on days that I work. Oh nothing like coming home from the ball game to a nice pot of soup Jenna. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Oh, I bet this does make your house smell really good!! 😊 What a great idea to carmelize the onions in the crock pot. Thanks for the recipe Jenna! 🧡