Recipe Box, Ryan’s Garden Tomato Pie

July in the South means a Tomato Pie!

Fresh tomatoes, preferably straight from your garden…

Traditional tomato pie is usually made with mayonnaise

HHjr doesn’t like mayonnaise

{or so he thinks, it’s actually in a lot of his favorites}

So he made up this recipe, using sour cream and cheese for the creamy factor

It also features yellow squash, red onion and fresh spinach,

the vegetables are sauteed in a skillet and then mixed with sour cream

And crispy pancetta for an extra wow flavor

Put the pancetta in a medium hot skillet

to render the fat and to crisp up,

then drain it on paper towels

Line a pie dish with a raw pie dough crust and add the pancetta

and top with the vegetable sour cream mixture

Top the vegetable layer with cheese

Top with the cherry tomatoes

Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes

2-3 oz Manchego cheese, grated

salt and pepper

dash of white wine vinegar, like Pinot Grigio wine vinegar

2-3 oz pancetta

olive oil

1 raw pie crust

Saute pancetta for several minutes to render fat. Remove to paper towels.

Cut squash slices into 1/4s and add them to a skillet with rendered pancetta fat, adding a dash of olive oil if needed. Add onion and saute until vegetables are soft. Add spinach and wilt down. Season with salt and pepper and stir in sour cream and add white wine vinegar.

Line bottom of crust with pancetta. Top with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with cherry tomatoes.

Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until crust is done and pie is heated through.  Let sit 5-10 minutes before cutting.

for another printable version click here

You might also like

Summer Cherry Tomato Pie

Summer Slab Tomato Pie

Ryan’s Italian Tomato Pie

Sunflower Tomato Pie

Tis the season for Tomatoes!

🍅  🍅  🍅

Meal Plan Monday   Love Your Creativity  Over the Moon

Between Naps on the PorchCelebrate Your Story,

All About Home/ Common Ground Follow the Yellow Brick Home

Make it Pretty Monday Tasty Tuesday   Oh My Heartsie Girl

Turn About Tuesday  Full Plate Thursday  Centerpiece Wednesday

Thursday Favorite Things  Creatively Crafty   Creative Cumpulsions

Comments
25 Responses to “Recipe Box, Ryan’s Garden Tomato Pie”
  1. Nancy says:

All those look delicious! Our tomatoes are not quite ready but when they are I’ll be sure to make a tomato pie!
    Happy Sunday to you dear Jenna!

2. Jenna, summer in the South does call for tomato pie. HHjr’s pie looks fabulous…if only I had a slice. Stay cool at the beach, the heat and humidity are torturous here in NE AL!

3. Rita C. says:

I have actually never eaten tomato pie, but that looks good. I’ve had fried green tomatoes, and I love tomatoes, in general. I love your recipes, and always in season. With your seasons’ region being a little ahead of ours, it’s like having a preview of possibilities!

4. This looks like something I would find delicious with all those tomatoes, pancetta, everything. Thanks for this one.

Oh yum, Ryan’s tomato pie looks like summertime to me! Big fan of tomatoes here, a few plants in the garden but not enough to supply my need for all my tomato recipes. So, early morning visits to the farmer’s marker where it’s open air pavilion and safe with masks. I will have to try this, I’ve only had the simple pies with sliced tomatoes. Thank Ryan for this delicious recipe…………

6. Karen says:

Tomato pie is a taste of summer on a plate and Ryan’s version sounds terrific.

7. Shannon@Belle Bleu Interiors says:

Jenna, this looks like the perfect summer dish! I adore fresh garden tomatoes, and look forward to them each year. Have a wonderful week ahead!

8. lghiggins says:

It looks like his version was quite successful!

9. creationsbycindyphotography.blogspot.com says:

As good as I like tomatoes I have never had a tomato pie! I just might have to try this Jenna. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

10. This looks so so good! I pinned, because I KNOW I will want to make this for Mr. FrenchGardenHouse! Thank you Jenna, for the recipe and inspiraton. xo Lidy

11. marilyn1998 says:

********************************************************
    Thank you for sharing at #OverTheMoon. Pinned and shared. Have a lovely week. I hope to see you at next week’s party too! Please stay safe and healthy. Come party with us at Over The Moon! Catapult your content Over The Moon! @marilyn_lesniak @EclecticRedBarn
    ********************************************************

Sounds delicious with the pancetta layer in the bottom Jenna! We haven’t had a tomato pie yet this summer, I need to get busy but dread turning on the oven it this heat 🙂