Fearless Friday, Painted Pumpkins

I’ve been thinking Fall this week

My very favorite part of Fall is decorating with pumpkins

I just adore pumpkins, any shape, color or kind!

Today we’re going to paint pumpkins on all kinds of things,

even paint pumpkins themselves!

It’s fun to paint patterns on real pumpkins,

I painted these Patterned Pumpkins for the beach house one year

Big polka dots are fun

Or you can paint Stripes

or Flowers

You can customize a crate with paint and painted pumpkins

Painting pumpkins is easy

Use orange and yellow orange or yellow

and a fat round brush like a #8

PicMonkey Collage

Dip brush in one color and make a “C.”

Without cleaning your brush, dip in the other color

and make a backwards “C”

and continue dipping and making “C”s for 2-3 more strokes

to fill in the body of the pumpkin

pumpkin stem collage

For the stem I like to use a small flat, square tipped brush,

with light and dark brown

Load the brush with both colors

Beginning from the pumpkin top make a quick stroke upwards

in a curve, as in photo top right

Reload brush with both colors

and make a second stroke overlapping the first,

starting slightly lower than the first stroke, photo lower right

Next, load brush once more

and make a third stroke overlapping the second, photo lower left

Because you used 3 strokes,

the top edge of the stem end will appear uneven, just like a real pumpkin

Using 2 colors for the body and for the stem,

gives the pumpkin highlights and depth

pumpkins 3 thepaintedapron.com

If you want to add extra detail,

use a small thin brush and a dark brown

pumpkins 4 thepaintedapron.com

Make some thin swirly vines

Add leaves with a little larger, fatter brush,

dipping in green and yellow

making short, small fat strokes,

turning brush tip as you finish the leaf

to make a pointy ends

pumpkin treat bag thepaintedapron.com

You can paint pumpkins on bags for Fall treats

or on glasses with paint made for glass

You can paint pumpkins on fabric too~

Paint a table runner or pillows

You can use acrylic paint on fabric if you mix it with textile medium

Below are the steps I took to paint the different color pumpkins

on the table runner

Welcome Fall with a sign!

Paint a small pumpkin sign to use as part of a display

or on a tiered tray

So, get out your paint brush and paint pumpkins~

Be Fearless!

I will be joining these fabulous parties and blogs

Sundays on Silverado/  Happiness is Homemade

What’s for Dinner / Love Your Creativity

Between Naps on the Porch /All About Home

Turn About Tuesday

Our Tiny Nest / Karin’s Cottage Linky Party /  Creative Crafts

Crafty Creators / Full Plate Thursday /Thursday Favorite Things

Home Matters

Comments
31 Responses to “Fearless Friday, Painted Pumpkins”

So many pretty painted pumpkins, especially the floral one Jenna! I’m thirlled that pumpkin season is around the corner! Happy Friday ♥

2. Rita C. says:

Love them all, esp the one painted in M-C style with multi patterns of florals and checks, and the beach house pumpkins!

3. Looks like that you are ready for the Autumn 🙂

4. Pam says:

Love all of your painted pumpkins, Jenna. My girls would love painting pumpkins, they love crafting like their mommy.

I am excited for the upcoming pumpkin season! Happy Friday!

5. Your two colors on the brush really makes all the difference. I have pumpkins on my to-do list for this week (cards for fall). (First I have to finish up a shamrock St. Paddy’s day card order — this woman plans ahead!). I love the polka dots. I’ve done that before but not for ages, so thanks for the reminder. These are darling, as are all your live pumpkin creations!

6. Shelia says:

All right, Jenna!—pump up the volume on pumpkins, I say. I am with you–I am ready for fall and falling leaves and crisp mornings.
    It is time for me to get my print of yours out–the red truck loaded with pumpkins–can’t wait, I love it so.
    Folks if you like Jenna’s creations (in her shop), you will like them even more if you have them in your home to remind you of a remarkable lady. Georgia Gal

A couple of quotes to get us even more in the mood:

“I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.” — Henry David Thoreau
    “I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” — L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

7. Jenna, I love how you added the sweet little pumpkins on the brown snack bag. And the table runner is simply – perfect! Cheers to more pumpkins!

8. lghiggins says:

Such fun and creative use of pumpkins. Fall–sunflowers, pumpkins, and colorful leaves. I love it!

9. Nancy says:

Love your pretty painted pumpkins!
    I enjoyed all your tips and inspiration!
    Happy Weekend!

10. Judee says:

All of your painted pumpkins look like so much fun and so uplifting. I have not started to think fall yet! I’m still enjoying the summer. But you are getting me in the mood. Beautiful post!

11. kristie says:

I love the tutorial!

12. Kim says:

Ah Jenna. So many beautiful pumpkins! I love them all, but the pumpkins with flowers on them are so pretty. And I love the wine glasses too. And the table runner is adorable! We have had a bit of a cool down here this last week and fall is definitely not far behind. Bring on pumpkin season! Happy happy Monday to you!

13. Joanne says:

So many cute painted pumpkin ideas!!

14. Jenna, your painted pumpkins are so pretty. Painting some in the MKC pattern is wonderful, especially on the wallet. The floral one is my favorites.

15. creativelybeth says:

LOVE ALL of your pumpkins!
    We will be featuring you starting Wednesday at the Creative Crafts Linky Party! Pinned and shared!
    Creatively, Beth

1. […] from the Painted Apron has rounded up all of her favorite DIY Painted Pumpkins in one place that will get you ready for a bright and colorful […]