Secret Recipe Club, Homemade Flour Tortillas

My Secret Recipe Club assignment this month is Dessert Before Dinner.  Stephy has an eclectic collection of recipes on her blog and I had a lot of fun browsing through her creations.  I tend to always check the appetizer section of a blog or cookbook, I guess because small bites are my favorite things to eat 🙂

Arancini, Italian Fried Delicious caught my eye because  how can a ball of risotto stuffed with cheese and then fried,  not be AMAZING?  However, I didn’t have any leftover risotto hanging around…   😏 so this will have to wait for another day…

flour tortillas 1 thepaintedapron.com

Then I saw her homemade tortillas and decided to make them to go with our Taco Soup for dinner

Everyone swears that homemade tortillas are easy peasy and sooo much better, so I had to try

I used my mix master and substituted coconut oil for the vegetable shortening  in Stephy’s recipe

This is a sticky dough, so if you think it is too wet, add a little more flour until it is workable

Don’t forget to flour your work surface

I made a serious mess, I had flour on my shoes, in my hair, everywhere, but it was fun!

Chill dough balls for 15 minutes before rolling out

flour tortilla thepaintedapron.com

Look at that little beauty!

Use a metal spatula, if needed, to transfer tortilla to your skillet, or your rolling pin

You can roll one out as your cooking one, if you don’t forget to turn the one in the pan after 45 seconds 😳

Can you see it starting to rise and bubble?

The tortillas are done when they just begin to brown on both sides

flour tortillas thepaintedapron.com

Homemade Flour Tortillas

• Servings: 8 10 inch tortillas
  • Difficulty: medium

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, plus more for rolling

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

3/4 cup water

Mix dry ingredients together the add coconut oil.  Turn mixer on and slowly add water, scraping down sides if necessary.  Turn dough out onto a well floured surface and knead several times and form into a flattened round.  Cut the round into 8 wedges.  Roll each wedge into a ball and put it on a floured plate.  Chill dough balls in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.

Heat a heavy skillet on medium high.  Roll out a dough ball into a thin tortilla, and place it in hot pan.  Let cook for 30-45 seconds until it starts to brown.  Turn over and repeat on other side.  Set tortilla on a towel to cool.  Repeat with remaining dough.

Store tortillas in a large ziplock bag

homemade tortillas thepaintedapron.com

You could also add food coloring to the dough in case you want to make them a certain color 🍀 💗 🎄 🎃

Thanks for dropping by!

Juicy Details

Be sure to visit Dessert Before Dinner here to see Stephy’s recipe for flour tortillas

See more about the Secret Recipe Club here

I got the idea of using coconut oil instead of shortening from Cook Craft Love here

Note: these are best used soft, you can soften in the microwave for 10 seconds.  I tried them in baked quesadillas and they didn’t crisp up well

Just click on the blue frog below to see all the other recipes from January’s Group C reveal day

Wordpress [self hosted, plug-in]: [inlinkz_linkup id=454470 mode=1]
Wordpress dot com:

___________________________________

I will be joining the fabulous parties and blogs on my side bar

Comments
21 Responses to “Secret Recipe Club, Homemade Flour Tortillas”

I’ve made homemade tortillas before, it’s fun and they do taste good! My friend has a very heavy tortilla press she bought that was made in Mexico, but she makes tons of them at a time. I’m sure you enjoyed them:@)

Jenna, I always leave a trail of flour in my wake when I’m in the kitchen much to my hubby’s display! I can only imagine how wonderful your tortillas are fresh & warm from the pan!

3. I have been tempted to make homemade tortillas so many times but just haven’t. Yours look great!!

4. I’ve been making homemade whole wheat tortillas since seeing a recipe from Lean Green Bean blog last year – we’ve never gone back to the store brand – they are SO good!

5. What a fun SRC choice!

6. Homemade tortillas are so much better than the ones you buy in the store. Yum!

7. Marigene says:

I need to try making these! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Jenna.

8. Stephanie says:

Thanks so much for the great write-up. I’ve never used coconut oil before, but maybe next time you can reduce it to 2 Tbsp coconut oil instead of 1/4 cup. It won’t be quite as sticky that way and you won’t need quite as much flour to roll it out.

Thanks again.

9. Emily says:

I know these have to be soooo good Jenna! Thanks for sharing your secrets for homemade.
    I am loving all this sunshine, bet you will headed to the beach soon!

10. These look good, Jenna. You can use regular rice for the arancini. I made them for the first time last year and posted them. Great with home made sauce.

11. What a great pick! Will be saving this recipe for the near future. Glad to be part of SRC group C with you!

12. Kelly@WildfloursKitchen.com says:

Oh, yours look wonderful! I haven’t made homemade tortillas in way too long! Great pick for the SRC! (Popping over from Group B!) 😀

13. These look easy and I know taste much better than store bought. I like the idea of using coconut oil rather than shortening.

14. CraftyHope says:

As a kid living in Panama, one of my friend’s mom would make us fresh tortillas all the time. I crave them to this day. . .it was about 30 years ago. Your recipe looks so easy. One day I’ll have to break down and make some!!