Recipe Box, Blackened Snapper Tacos with Pico de Gallo

“Hey Mom, I’ve got a blog post for you…” HHjr text me,

“I’ll email you the photos”

“Really?? Thank you!”

Last weekend HHjr and some buddies had great luck on opening day of Snapper Season on the Alabama Gulf Coast

I’ve known them all since they were little, such great guys, and it was a treat for me to hang out with them over the weekend

They all had to leave Sunday to get back to the city for work, and divvied up the fresh snapper filets

HHjr made blackened fish tacos for dinner and was nice enough to document his process and share his recipe

He said to make the Pico de Gallo first and refrigerate for several hours so the flavors can blend

Season the fish well with Blackened Seasoning, this one from Chef Paul Prudhomme is a favorite

Preheat a cast iron skillet on high, on an outdoor burner or grill…you do NOT want to cook this inside!

Add butter and lemon juice, then add seasoned fish filet

Cook 3-4 minutes then flip and cook the other side

Remove filet from skillet and set aside to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into smaller pieces

Divide the fish between the tortillas

If you don’t have a taco stand, I recommend you get one, so handy!

Top with Pico de Gallo

Add avocado

Drizzle with Garlic hot sauce or sour cream thinned with a little lime juice

Serve them up!

Blackened Snapper Tacos with Pico de Gallo

• Servings: 2

1 large fresh red snapper filet {or other fresh fish}

Blackened seasoning {like Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Blackened Steak Seasoning}

2-3 T butter

lemon juice

Pico de Gallo recipe below

1 avocado, cubed

Creamy Garlic Hot Sauce {Blue Tip} to taste {or sour cream thinned with a little lime juice}

4 large white corn tortillas, {saute them for a few minutes in a skillet with oil to get them crispy if desired}

Make Pico de Gallo first, so flavors can develop in the refrigerator for a few hours.  Season fish well on both sides with Blackened seasoning.  Heat a cast iron skillet on high heat on an outdoor grill.*  Add butter and a dash of lemon juice.  Add fish to skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes.  Carefully flip and cook other side.  Remove to a plate.

Cut fish into small chunks.  Divide fish between tortillas, top with Pico de Gallo.  Top with avocado and drizzle with Creamy Garlic Hot Sauce.

*I don’t recommend cooking this indoors as it creates a lot of smoke

Pico de Gallo

1 sweet onion, chopped

1 large tomato, chopped

1 honey mango, chopped

1 serrano pepper, sliced thin

olive oil

lemon juice

lime juice

salt & pepper

minced garlic, optional

Place fruit and vegetables in a bowl.  Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice and lime juice to taste and season with salt & pepper.  Add minced garlic if desired. Refrigerate for several hours to develop flavors.

Note: You can search for stores near you that carry Blue Tip Hot Sauce here

Thank you HHjr!

for another printable version of this recipe click here

🐟🐟🐠🐟🐟

Meal Plan Monday  Dishing it & Digging it,   Between Naps on the Porch,

Merry Monday   Make it Pretty Monday    Celebrate and Decorate,

Tasty Tuesday   Oh My Heartsie Girl  Full Plate Thursday

Weekend Potluck   Sweet Inspirations   Happiness is Homemade

Comments
43 Responses to “Recipe Box, Blackened Snapper Tacos with Pico de Gallo”
  1. Rita C. says:

I love how HHJr is so into your blog with his kitchen skills. Those look so good. Great job!

2. Great minds think alike! I just made grilled fish tacos last weekend. I like the grill flavor, but just seasoned nicely.

3. Now that is a successful fishing trip! Our catch never looked like that:@)

4. CoziNest says:

What a sweet son! It is adorable how he shared his fishing trip, friends and recipe post with you, Jenna. The tacos look delish and where did you get your taco stand? I don’t know that I’ve ever seen one in a store. If I did, I probably walked by it and wondered what in the world was that!?

Such a sweet post. Might be my fav so far. But, it would be hard to choose.

5. HHjr is a wonderful chef and son. I can’t imagine my son saying he had a blog post for me (lol)!! I love red snapper fixed any way and this certainly looks delicious. Thank him for sharing his recipe. Happy Thursday!

Love the pic of the guys with their catch. The men in my family would be green with envy! How nice of HHjr to document the recipe for you. My pantry stays stocked with the same seasoning with I use on our fish. I love the taco recipe, goodness it looks so delicious. We are fans of blackened fish here! Pass along thanks to your son for this awesome recipe.

7. That fish is one of the most gorgeous fish I’ve ever seen. And what a haul? Of course you had to make fish tacos with all that bounty and they look delicious. Pretty sure we’re not pulling that out of Otsego Lake!

8. Cindy Conner says:

WOW! Now that’s some beautiful fish! Those men ain’t half bad either! LOL! I love fish tacos. Marty not so much. He’s your give me beef taco guy. But I think he might just love this recipe. Just printed it out. YUM! Hugs and blessings to you my friend. Cindy

What a wonderful weekend and the food looks so yummy.

These loook sooooooooooo good! How sweet of HHJr to send you! Great group of guys! I love when this happens at our house. Both of my sons are the “chefs” in their homes. 🙂

11. Kari says:

Yummy Jenna, I will be right over and I want at least two of these tacos. thank you HHJr!

Wow!! They caught a lot of fish!! 🐠👍 Sounds like a fun weekend had by all! 😊 The tacos look delish and so easy – perfect for summertime! Thanks Jenna! 💗

13. pattyanneart says:

Looks like a great weekend with delicious food!! Yum! 😊💚☀️

14. How fun Jenna! Lucky you!!!

Oh why oh why am I reading this when I’m hungry, Jenna?? HHjr did a great job, and I love that he thought of you to do a post. I love blackened fish, and have made my own seasoning in the past, but I always appreciate your recommendations on products that you love. Thank you and your wonderful son!
    P. S. Cute pic of the boys, too!!

My mouth is watering, oh my, does this look wonderful! What a great cook! Thanks for sharing this recipe! Those fish are beautiful! 🐟🐠🐟🐠

17. Benita says:

Wonderful recipe! We love snapper and these tacos look delicious! Hugs!

18. Karen says:

What a great time your son and friends must have had bringing in that fine catch. Your son was so sweet to document everything for a blog post for you. The tacos sound great. I’m now going to be on a mission to see if I can get our Publix to carry the Creamy Garlic Hot Sauce.

We would love these Jenna and my hubby would love to reel in some snapper!

We haven’t had snapper for years and we love it. That looks like a fantastic catch, and I know those guys had so much fun getting all those fish! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday!

21. Wow how amazing your fish looks, the tacos look so yummy. I have been hunting for Red Snapper in the store here in Vegas and they just dont carry it, not even frozen, guess I need to go fishing!!
    Thank you for sharing on #omhgww this week!

22. marilyn1998 says:

Thank you for sharing at #ThursdayFavoriteThings. Pinned and shared.