Creations, Burlap Ghosts, Boo!

Super Boy and I had some Halloween fun the other day.  He asked, “Halloween? Gigi, why are you making stuff for Halloween?”

burlap ghost thepaintedapron.com

“Why are you painting so many Frankenstein glasses?”

Frankenstein thepaintedapron.com

“Why are the witches upside down?”

Bottoms up thepaintedapron.com

Tough questions.

Bottoms Up!  How do you explain metaphor to a 5 year old?

How do I explain that things happen MUCH sooner in blogland than they do in real time?

“I want to show people how to make some cute ghosts for decorations and they might need lots of time to make them.”    “Oh, Okay.”

He helped me “design them,”  he told me what hairdos they should have and choose the eyeballs.

I like to make him little surprise vignettes at his place in the kitchen…  He was fighting allergies so I left him this ghost to chase his sniffles.  He insisted on this ghost wearing his skeleton necklace that he got from a recent birthday party.

ghost vignette thepaintedapron.com

We laughed a lot

ghosts thepaintedapron.com

I said, “I like cute Halloween stuff much better than scary….”  “Not me!” he said, “I like scary...!”

burlap ghost gang thepaintedapron.com

The ghost gang is hanging out in my dining room patiently waiting for a tablescape~

Casper and friends thepaintedapron.com

Every time I walk in here I crack up, they are hilarious.

Halloween ghosts thepaintedapron.com

I said, “Isn’t it funny how even though we made them basically all the same way, they all look a little different and have their own personalities?” He looked at me quizzically and said, “I  guess…”  “Kind of like people, right?”  He nodded.  I thought this was quite the deep heavy lesson.  I don’t think he got it.

After all, if your grandmother paints witches upside down and bakes glasses in her oven, she is just not to be trusted!

“I think you should make a witch Gigi!”  Uh oh! “Well, I have to think about that,…..maybe next weekend~”

_____________________________________________

Method:  {all supplies from Hobby Lobby}

bottles

Black netting or tulle

rubber bands

twine, jute or sisal

white burlap

black felt

plastic eyes

I used the painted wine bottles from the Fiesta party because I thought some color peaking out might be cute.  You can obviously use any bottle, and different heights would be effective.

I cut squares of white burlap, and varied the sizes, experimenting with the lengths, some long and some shorter so you can see the painted bottle.

I used black netting for a base layer, to make the head and give the burlap a little more body.  I made a wad of the netting to form a head at the top of the bottle and secured it with a rubber band

Make a fringe on all sides of the burlap squares by pulling out some threads.  Save threads for “hair”

Place burlap square over netting and head shape and tie around the neck with a piece of sisal, jute, ribbon or twine

Glue eyes on with glue gun

Cut round or ovals from black felt for the mouths and apply with glue gun

add hair with glue gun

That’s it!!  Takes no time at all!

I love Halloween!  There will be much more to come!!

______________________________________________

The painted wine glasses are available over at my gallery, JMdesigns.  Pop over for more designs and ordering info~

______________________________________________

I will be joining these fabulous parties!

A Stylish Interior

Worthing Court

Savvy Southern Style

Posed Perfection

Stone Gable

The Style Sisters

The Gunny Sack

Comments
23 Responses to “Creations, Burlap Ghosts, Boo!”
  1. Joyce says:

I love this!!! Every step of the tutorial and story had me smiling over and over!
    Happy Hugs,
    Jemma

2. This is such a fun post, Jenna! I love it!

3. Kim says:

Jenna! These are adorable! It’s so true about the personalities. I enjoyed all the things your grandson said – so funny and typical. 🙂 My favorites are actually the bottoms up glasses – laughed out loud! Great post. 🙂
    ❤ Kim

4. laurie says:

They are so cute, and you are right – they each have their own personality. They each have their own hairstyle too. Love the hairdos. I love those wine glasses! laurie

5. Vel says:

Wow! So creative! Linking from Stylish Interior!

Love your ‘bottoms up’ witch glasses Jenna! It would be impossible to have a bad day when you’re painting Frankensteins and witches! Your little burlap ghosts are so cute with their scared- stiff hair styles. Looking forward to seeing them at a table soon 🙂

7. These are really cute and perfect for giving your home a spooktacular feeling this halloween season!

8. I chuckled all the way through this post ! 🙂

9. Marty@A Stroll Thru Life says:

Oh my word, how cute and how fun are these. I love this idea. The glasses are fabulous too. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

10. Becca says:

Way to recycle your own project. These are so cute and a great idea especially playing with different sized bottles. Thanks for sharing!

11. wow – what a fun idea and love the painted glasses too. Here via Monday FUnday link up.
    Happy Fall

12. Michele says:

Love your sweet ghosts! Pinned:) Stop by. I posted Halloween Banners this week:)

13. DogsMom says:

You know, I never think about adding hair when I make ghosts.
    From now on, I think I may.

(http://lovevisiting.blogspot.com)

14. Wow! These are so adorable. Love all your Halloween crafty decor.

Thanks for sharing

15. christykjames says:

These are so cute and I think I would giggle too every time I walked in the room to find them all there! I giggled just reading this post as I was scrolling through…and yes, they all have their own personalities! Thanks for sharing at our Get Your DIY on Fall Party Challenge! I hope you can party with us again this Sunday at 7:00 EST. Our theme is chalkboard projects! Hope to see you there!

• christykjames says:

Oops! I meant spray paint projects! Chalkboard projects are next week and I’ve been working on mine so it’s on my brain lol! Hope to see you there! 🙂