Gifts from the Kitchen, Last Minute Lemon Loaf Cake with Lemon Lime Glaze

Happy Mother’s Day!  🌷

welcome tray

I hope you Moms are being properly pampered today!!

flower vignette

Do you need a last minute sweet treat for Mom?

cake & flowers

This is what I call a pantry cake, meaning, you can whip this up easily from things you have on hand

citrus glazed lemon loaf

If you don’t have lemons, you can flavor it with vanilla, almond or coconut extract

lime glazed lemon pound cake

and decorate it with sprinkles, coconut, chocolate anything you can find

lemon buttermilk

No buttermilk? No problem, just add 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar to a scant cup of milk, let sit for 5 minutes, and voilà, buttermilk

I have a kooky Nordic loaf pan with a fruit pattern that I’ve never really figured out what to do with, but it makes great cakes, even though they look a little odd  😳

fresh lemon cake

I played around with the garnishing, using fresh lemons and flowers

lime glazed lemon pound cake

And spring sprinkles

lemon loaf with lemon lime glaze

This cake will keep well under a dome at room temperature for up to a week

It’s really good for breakfast too!

Last Minute Lemon Loaf Cake

1 T fresh lemon juice

Lemon Lime Icing

1/2 cup powdered sugar**

2 T softened butter

2 T lemon juice

2 T lime juice

Place flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl and mix.  Combine buttermilk, lemon juice and zest in another bowl.  Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, stirring well between each addition and scraping down sides.  Once eggs are mixed in, alternate adding wet and dry ingredients, starting and ending with flour.

Pour mixture into well greased loaf pan.

Bake at 325 for 30 minutes, and check.  Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cake is set and tester comes out clean.  Do not overbake.  Cool cake before turning out of pan.

Make lemon lime glaze by mixing ingredients until smooth.  Pour over cooled cake.  Decorate cake with sprinkles, citrus slices {add just before serving} or fresh edible flowers.

*make your own buttermilk by using 1 T fresh lemon juice or vinegar and adding milk to make 1 cup.  Stir and let sit for 5 minutes before using.

** you might need a little more powdered sugar to reach desired consistency

citrus lemon loaf

Enjoy!

mother's day memory table thepaintedapron.com

I adapted this recipe from Cafe Sucré Farine’s Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake.  Please pop over and see Chris’ stunning bundt cake here

for another printable version of Last Minute Lemon Loaf Cake click here

………………………………………………

I will be joining these fabulous parties and blogs

Celebrate and DecorateRustic and Refined,

Between Naps on the Porch, Coastal Charm, Cooking and Crafting with J&JThe Scoop, Something to Talk AboutA Stroll Thru Life    Inspire Me Monday

Crafty Staci,   Tickle My TastebudsWow Us Wednesday

Full Plate ThursdayWork it Wednesday

Home Matters, Idea BoxPoofing the Pillows

Comments
27 Responses to “Gifts from the Kitchen, Last Minute Lemon Loaf Cake with Lemon Lime Glaze”
  1. I was thinking that your cake would never last a week under the cake dome. Then I saw it was my cake 🙂 I know at my house, it would never last a week, even in the freezer as I have little hungry elves that frequent the place. Happy Mother’s Day!! Hope it’s filled with lovely things like Lemon Buttermilk Cake!!

• I didn’t do your beautiful cake justice Chris! We were alone for a week, a rare occurrence, so my husband & I got to nibble on it and I was amazed how long it stayed fresh and moist. Hope you have a wonderful day!

Your cake sounds so good Jenna! Lemon anything is hard for me to resist and I feel less guilty whipping up a loaf cake than a whole pound cake around to tempt us 🙂 Wishing you lots of pampering and a flower-filled Mother’s Day. ♥

3. Rhonda says:

You had me at lemon… yum!!! Looks and sounds delish! And you’ve garnished it so pretty! Happy Mother’s Day! 🙂 ~Rhonda

4. Jenna, Happy Mother’s Day! The cake looks delicious…I will keep it for those last minute needs!

5. lulu says:

I’m pampering myself by visiting you. Have a wonderful day.

6. Yum, Jenna, love the way you decorated it for spring.

7. Lovely post! Gorgeous photos. I will have to try your recipe. The check cake pedestal is gorgeous! I would love to find one just like it!

Happy Mother’s Day Jenna, I hope you’re having a great day:@)

Hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day, Jenna! The cake looks,and sounds amazing! I wish I had a slice right now for breakfast. I love that it keeps moist and fresh for a week!

10. JESS44903 says:

I so pinned this! YUM!

I would love for you to share this with my Recipes, Crafts, Tips and Tricks Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

11. This is my kind of cake. I like the idea you can make it with whatever and it is quick and easy.

12. adding lime to the glaze sounds fabulous! Thanks for the idea. I would love to see this on The Pinterest Game. http://www.pinsinantushell.com

13. mtogiai says:

I’m saving this recipe for my next baking sesh in the kitchen. I love everything lemon and with a lime glaze? Oh Im there!

14. This Ole Mom says:

I think your Lemon cake looks delicious. I love the way it looks too. I wish I could have seen the cake pan. I love the fruit molded on top..very unique!

15. Linda says:

Lovely cake with citrus. Adding the glaze is perfect. Thanks Jenna for sharing at DI&DI. xo

16. Sandra Garth says:

Sprinkles make everything better!

17. Helen Adams says:

I love any cake with Lemon, this looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great day!

1. […] Last Minute Lemon Loaf Cake with Lemon Lime Glaze […]