Recipe Box, Ritzy Vidalia Onion Pie

Have you ever had an onion pie?

Or made a pie crust with Ritz crackers?

When I saw this recipe, Cheddar & Ritz Cracker Vidalia Onion Pie over on Turnips to Tangerines, I couldn’t wait to try it

Vidalia onions are grown in Georgia, famous for their sweet flavor, they don’t even make you cry when you cut them!

It’s totally retro with a Ritz cracker crumb pie crust

Melt the butter in your pie dish, add the crumbs, mix and pat into a crust

The original recipe called for more butter than I thought was necessary, so I reduced the amount for the crust

Saute the onions, but chop them rather than slicing like I did,  it will make your pie easier to eat

Put the onions in the crust and pour the seasoned milk mixture over all

Now comes the cheese!

I usually recommend grating your own but  I’ve gotten so lazy   I think the Off the Block cheeses are very good

Into the oven it goes for 30 minutes

Let it sit for a few minutes to set before cutting

This is great as a side dish for grilled meat or chicken

Ritzy Vidalia Onion Pie

• Servings: 6

2 T butter, melted

1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs

2 cups Vidalia onion, chopped, or any sweet onion

2 T butter

2 eggs

3/4 cup milk

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar

1/2 cup grated swiss or guyere

Mix cracker crumbs and butter in a 9 inch pie plate. Press into the bottom and up sides of plate forming pie crust.

Saute onions in 2 T of butter until clear but not brown. Spoon into crust. Mix eggs with milk, salt & pepper and pour over onions. Sprinkle with cheeses.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until firm in the center.

for another printable version of Ritzy Vidalia Onion Pie click here

Put a little South in your mouth!

Dishing it & Digging itBetween Naps on the Porch,   Make it Pretty Monday

Cooking and Crafting with J&J,    Celebrate and Decorate,

Delicious Dishes Recipe Party   Oh My Heartsie Girl  Full Plate Thursday

Thursday Favorite Things  Creatively Crafty   Home Matters  Weekend Potluck

Comments
19 Responses to “Recipe Box, Ritzy Vidalia Onion Pie”
  1. Jenna, I love Vidalia onion pie, but I never thought of using Ritz crackers as the crust. This would be the perfect side dish for summer. Have a wonderful day!

Such an easy recipe, this pie looks delicious. Thanks Jenna

3. Rita C. says:

I have to admit, this looks really good!

4. Rosie M. says:

Gotta give this recipe a try!! Thanks, Jenna!

5. My cholesterol is going up and so is my grocery bill when (and it’s when, not if) I make this one!

6. I have not heard of onion pie so I’m happy you introduced it! I think this would make a great dish to make, easy and it has to be delicious. I know I would love it. Got to try this recipe. Thanks Jenna.

how clever! could sure eat a piece of this now!

Love the Ritz cracker crust on your vidalia pie Jenna! Our favorite tomato pie recipe has caramelized onions in which we love! I might need to experiment with a Ritz cracker crust 🙂

Looks Really good! Will try with our next cook-out and pinning! Thanks Jenna! 😊

10. Karen says:

My husband loves Ritz crackers so I know he would enjoy this easy dish. Thanks Jenna.

11. yes I’ve had a very similar pie and it is SO GOOD. We use saltines… next time I’ll try the Ritz!

What a great Onion Pie, this looks delicious! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday!

13. Sounds scrumptious! I have shared this in my Chloe’s Kitchen Facebook Group!

w