Creations, Got a Wine Bottle?

Well, I finally got around to combining 2 of my favorite things, wine and paint!

Haven’t we all wanted to create the perfect crafty clever way to re-purpose old bottles, with out having to use a blow torch, power tools or glass cutters?

jute & paint wine bottles thepaintedapron.com

Necessity being the Mother of Invention as they say, I was yearning for a sea of bud vases to use at our upcoming Mexican Fiesta

jute trimmed bottles thepaintedapron.com

Our budget was pretty tight, I had already spent the decor allowance on tissue pom poms and life size Mariachi men.  I know, right! That’s what I love about this theme, anything goes!

I generally get my best ideas about 3 am.

Chalk paint, dark wax, jute.  Done.

This is my kind of craft.  One bottle, 10 minutes.  Done.  Cute!

I did experiment with regular acrylic heavy body paint {orange and yellow} and chalk paint { old white and florence}.  The chalk paint was definitely better because it just covers better.  I did not want to remove the labels!  Have you ever tried that? Nightmare.

One of the labels did start to bubble up from the wet paint so I took the tip of an exacto knife to see if it would lift up and slide off~ Nooooooooo.I just loaded more paint and wax on the area and forgot about trying that anymore!

a little Annie Sloan dark wax and some jute~and these bottles are ready to party!

painted bottles thepaintedapron.com

That is what’s cool about the jute, the rough texture distracts the eye from any parts of the label that is showing through, and just makes them look kind of vintage, like they came from an old Mexican cantina~

jute & paint wine bottles thepaintedapron.com

Even though the acrylic didn’t cover as well I still think they look great!    Much to my delight I walked into Costco and what do you know, Sunflowers!  $8.99 a bunch {for 12!!}

Yep, my good luck is definitely back!

wine bottle vases thepaintedapron.com

These are going to look great at the Fiesta!

wine bottle vases thepaintedapron.com 1

old wine bottles thepaintedapron.com

vases thepaintedapron.com

Stay tuned, I will be sharing lots more decor ideas and recipes from the party over the next week or two!

Note: I used Annie Sloan chalk paint in Old White and Florence, and Liquetex heavy body acrylic in Cadmium Orange, and Cadmium Yellow to paint over the labels.  I used a square flat brush and purposely left the edges uneven.   I did 2 thick coats of paint on each bottle and used a sporadic coating of Annie Sloan dark wax after the paint was dry.   I embellished the bottles with a thick gauge jute.  Google Annie Sloan chalk paint to find a dealer in your area.

______________________________________________

Stone Gable

Posed Perfection

DIY Vintage Chic

It’s Overflowing

Uncommon Designs

Alderberry Hill

Comments
28 Responses to “Creations, Got a Wine Bottle?”

I hate that those Mariachi men are so darn pricey 🙂 So clever Jenna, I’m embarrassed to say how many wine bottles are currently in my recycling bin *hiccup*. Love the ASCP and wax finish, removing labels is not fun, so much easier to paint over! Looking forward to seeing all your party details~ Olé!

2. Holly says:

Hi Jenna – You always have the most creative and cutest projects! I got all excited when I painted my old wine bottles black to get ready for Halloween decor. Hugs, Holly

3. Christine says:

Pinning this..what an awesome idea…LOVE the Jute String

4. Sandy says:

Very cute, I can’t wait to try one1 Never thought of doing this and I think most of us have some sort of bottle in our stash we may be able to use.
    Sandy

5. Thanks for sharing this cute and thrifty idea at my party today. Welcome to my blog…always love meeting nearby bloggers. My hubs works in Orange Beach and we have a condo in Gulf Shores.

Blessings,
    Linda

6. Home Seasons says:

This idea seems so easy to try! We love how rustic it looks 🙂 perfect for a colorful party!

7. Christine says:

What a colorful and cute idea! So original too!…Christine

8. Joyce says:

Love, love these! Perfection for your party! Paint is great and the jute adds just the perfect finishing touch!
    Happy Hugs,
    jemma

9. Faith says:

I love imperfect crafts! I think I could do this!

10. These really turned out great! Now I know what to do with all those leftover wine bottles. 😉
    Kenley

11. Very clever! They really look neat:@)

12. Loving this idea, Thanks for the great instructions also. Cute and easy, my kind of project.
    Susan @ RusticReDiscovered

13. Ann k says:

So cute!! They look great with those sun flowers too!!

14. Becca says:

I literally have boxes of wine bottles I’ve saved. Every time I see them I promised I’m going to get out my glass cutter and torch and get to work on them…. THIS WILL SAVE ME SO MUCH TIME! I just can’t throw them away! Stop by my Friday’s Five Features this week and link up this post (and others)! diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com

15. These are super cute – so creative!!!

16. Diana Rambles says:

Nice decoration!

17. Love, Love your decorated wine bottles. Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursday.

xoxo
    Denyse

18. I missed this post some how! I love your painted bottles. Great tutorial.