Recipe Box, BBQ Salmon & Sinful Scalloped Potatoes

okay, twist my arm 🙂

BBQ Salmon thepaintedapron.com

He has cooked this at our house before and I have witnessed guests sneaking into the kitchen after dinner and cramming finger fulls of this into their mouths.  Really!

HHjr said that people have offered to pay him to just cook extra for them whenever he cooks it!

photo copy

He cooks it on a Big Green Egg Smoker with a combo of apple and cherry wood chips with a hunk of a Jack Daniels barrel thrown in and a “vinatge” Hot Wheels car on the side.

He makes a secret sauce with butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and pepper

and a big juicy wedge of Meyer lemon~or regular lemon~

photo

He cooks it on a piece of foil and bastes it generously with the secret sauce, cooking it low and slow for about an hour at just over 200.

BBQ Salmon thepaintedapron.com

The outside looks sort of like candy

And just to kick it up a notch, he decided to make some scalloped potatoes

scalloped potato gratin thepaintedapron.com

Have you ever seen anything so sinful?  Creamy cheesy crispy lovely potatoes~

He put grated Vermont White Cheddar and fresh Parmesan into a bowl with a little flour, salt and pepper and cayenne

Next he added thinly sliced red potatoes and gently tossed them around in this seasoned cheese and flour mixture

He layered half of the potatoes in a deep glass quiche dish

He poured some heavy cream over the layer and repeated.

scalloped potatoes thepaintedapron.com

sigh…

He put it on a baking pan and covered it with foil for the first half of cooking time and then remove the foil for the second half.

This is why you want to cook it on a pan

scalloped potato gratin thepaintedapron.com

and Voila, perfect scalloped potatoes!

salmon and scalloped potato gratin thepaintedapron.com

Let’s just say we didn’t go to bed hungry!  And I fasted the next day!

I have mentioned before that it is so hard to pin him down to exact quantities.  He cooks like an artist, creating as he goes. I did follow him around with a notepad…

RYAN’S SPECIAL BBQ SALMON   for a printable version click here

1lb fresh salmon

1 stick butter

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup soy sauce

1 tsp sesame oil

S&P

wedge of lemon

Melt butter in a sauce pan.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer for a few minutes on low.  Place fish on a piece of foil on the grill. Use this sauce to continually baste fish on a smoker or grill.  Cook low, 200 degrees for about an hour, keeping grill covered when not basting.  Serves 4

NOTE:  He doesn’t recommend trying this for anything smaller than a 1 pound piece of fish.

This is a great party appetizer also!

…………………………

SINFUL SCALLOPED POTATOES   for a printable version click here

4 large red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into thin slices

4 oz. Vermont White Cheddar cheese, grated

4 oz freshly grated Parmesan

pinch of flour

S&P

2 green onions, chopped

pinch of cayenne

1 cup heavy cream

Spray a 8″ x 8″ casserole or deep round glass pie dish with cooking oil spray.  Place cheeses in large mixing bowl and add flour and seasonings.  Toss to combine.  Add potato slices and gently toss.   Layer half of potato slices into casserole dish and cover with about 1/4-1/2 cup cream.  Use only enough to cover completely.  Repeat layers.  Refrigerate remaining cream for future use.  Cover dish with foil and place on a rimmed baking sheet.  Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.  Serves 6-8

Thanks so much for your visit!

_______________________________________________

I will be joining these amazing parties:

A Stroll Thru Life

Easy Life

Rattlebridge Farm

Jenny Evolution

The Tablescaper

Comments
14 Responses to “Recipe Box, BBQ Salmon & Sinful Scalloped Potatoes”
  1. deb says:

OK, I’m hungry now…

2. Liz Mackie says:

Thank you so much for nice recipes. Have a great week.

>________________________________ > From: the Painted Apron >To: lizzm@att.net >Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:02 AM >Subject: [New post] Recipe Box, BBQ Salmon & Sinful Scalloped Potatoes > > > WordPress.com >the Painted Apron posted: “In celebration of Alabama’s big game win last weekend, HHjr wanted to cook a special feast~ okay, twist my arm 🙂 He has cooked this at our house before and I have witnessed guests sneaking into the kitchen after dinner and cramming finger fulls” >

3. Emily says:

What a fabulous way to celebrate last weeks big win (ROLL TIDE), and this week. I can see why everyone loves this meal. My hubs cooks on an egg and it’s so delicious! Thanks for the Scalloped Potatoes recipe.
    Happy Week.

4. You are making me hungry! I have nominated you for a Liebster Award for bloggers. Please see my post at http://www.homeandlifestyledesign.com/2013/09/i-won-liebster-award.html for more details. Congrats and keep up the great work.
    Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

Oh Jenna, what a meal and I am starving right now! I can see why you didn’t go to bed hungry. Thank you for sharing the delicious recipes. Happy Sunday hugs sent to you.

Oh my….We are salmon fans, I can only imagine the wonderful caramelized flavor from the secret sauce! And of course, I’ve never met a potato I didn’t like, sounds like the perfect meal to me!

7. Kim says:

Sinful or not, those scalloped potatoes look delicious! They’re on the list! 🙂
    ❤ Kim

8. Marty@A Stroll Thru Life says:

Oh my, both sound soooooooo good. I love salmon and I love potatoes, so this is definitley a feast for sure. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

9. Betty Taylor says:

I love salmon and that stuff looks incredibly amazing. I may have to buy a smoker so I can make that. We have talked about getting one. If the food looks that good and tastes great we may just have to do it.

Thanks for linking up with us at the Four Seasons Blog Hop.

10. Lisa Ehrman says:

Just pinned this post…..YUM!

11. Teresa says:

I wish you were my neighbor and that we were super great friends that you liked sharing your meals with me because that one looks AMAAAAAZING! I do enjoy salmon, especially when you take it to the grill. My Steeler Fan uses apple chips as well so I know that the combination HHjr uses has to kick the flavor bar up a notch. Thanks for following him around and giving us something to work from 🙂