Recipe Box, Green Goddess Salad Dressing and Wacky Weeds Cheese Straws

salad bar 2

Here are the recipes from Green Goddess Salad Bar with Wacky Weeds

I lightened up the recipe by using light mayo and light sour cream

This dressing isn’t hard to make, just a little chopping and squeezing

Have you ever used Basil paste? You can keep it in the fridge so basil is always on hand, it’s a great alternative to fresh

This flavorful recipe can be used as a dip too~

Wacky Weeds are puff pastry sticks kicked up a notch~  my intention was for these to look like flowers, but they didn’t cooperate…

Roll out a square of puff pastry dough as thin as possible on a sil pat or a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.

Brush the dough with melted butter~

Lay a thick row of grated sharp cheddar along one long edge and sprinkle the rest of dough liberally with Everything Seasoning and Parmesan cheese

Roll dough up and over cheese, enclosing cheese completely.   Cut the “weeds” into thin strips as shown below.

Bake at 400 until golden and crisp, about 15-20 minutes

Be careful, they’re addicting!

cheese straws

Green Goddess Salad Dressing or Dip   adapted from StoneGable

for a printable version click here

1/2 cup light Mayonnaise or  Homemade Mayonnaise

1/2 cup light sour cream

1/2 cup chopped green onions

2 T basil paste or chopped fresh basil

2 T chopped fresh parsley

1 T anchovy paste [you won’t taste anything weird I promise]

4 T fresh lemon juice, about 2 lemons

1 clove garlic, minced

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and use and immersion blender to combine.  Store in a jar in refrigerator up to 1 week.  Makes about 1 1/2 cups

Wacky Weeds aka Puff Pastry Cheese Straws   for a printable version click here

1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted

2- 3 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated

4 T Everything Seasoning [click for the recipe]

3 oz. finely grated Parmesan cheese

1 T butter, melted

Roll thawed dough out on a sil pat or piece of parchment paper as thin as possible.   Brush with  butter.  Mound cheese along one of the long ends and carefully roll dough over cheese, enclosing the grated cheese completely.  Sprinkle the rest of dough liberally with Everything Seasoning and Parmesan cheese.  Cut dough with the tip of a sharp knife into strips, about 1/2″ wide, cutting through the cheese roll and all the way down.  Bake dough in a 400 degree oven until crisp and golden, 15-20 minutes.   Makes 16-18 strips.   Serve immediately.  Reheat leftovers.

Thanks so much for joining me today!

Will Cook for Smiles

Tasty Tuesday

The Gunny Sack

Four Seasons Blog Hop

Full Plate Thursday

Freedom Friday

Foodie Friday

Seasonal Sunday

21 Responses to “Recipe Box, Green Goddess Salad Dressing and Wacky Weeds Cheese Straws”
  1. Liz Mackie says:

Thank you and have a Super-Duper Weekend!

From: the Painted Apron >To: >Sent: Friday, March 14, 2014 3:02 AM >Subject: [New post] Recipe Box, Green Goddess Salad Dressing and Wacky Weeds Cheese Straws > >the Painted Apron posted: “A salad bar is an easy dinner idea, and if you add some homemade touches, it feels very special Here are the recipes from Green Goddess Salad Bar with Wacky Weeds I lightened up the recipe by using light mayo and light sour cream This” >

2. I love Green Goddess Dressing and these treats looks so delicious and perfect for Springtime!

3. lulu says:

Love the idea of cheese straws made from puff pastry. I have one sheet in the freezer, and these will be a good way to use it.

4. Happier Than A Pig In Mud says:

The dressing sounds good! I always liked Green Goddess when I was a kid, might be time to try to make my own:@)

5. memoriesbythemile says:

They both sound delicious, can’t wait to try them. I’m always looking for a new yummy dressing. Pinned!
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

6. This looks amazing, Jenna. I need to do this dressing. I’ve seen the basil paste, have never used it. Will definitely give this a try.

btw…the sillk flower is what we believe is a dahlia. The shop, where I found the silks, is in historic St Charles, S. Main Street. They have the most realistic silks I’ve ever seen…in fact, I feel the “need” for a trip to S. Main.:-)

7. Kim says:

I’ve never heard of Basil paste. Your dressing looks so good, I’d like to eat it right now! And your wacky weeds (love the name!) look dangerous. Since you say they’re addictive, maybe I won’t make them (and I need to shed some pounds). But, can I step over for a taste? You’re not that far away. 🙂

8. Jenna, Are you going to participate in the southern blogger conference? I am hoping to attend. Bonnie I am on my husband’s computer so my google account won’t show up. I am in north Alabama but going home tomorrow.Bonnie

9. Cindy says:

Everything looks really good and you’ve set it up with such special touch. Looks like you’re having a party.

10. Shawna says:

I can’t believe it, I have been looking for a green Goddess dressing for the longest time. My husband and I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to make this for his chicken wings. I booked marked and cant wait to try it. Thank you for sharing it on our Four Seasons Blog Hop. Now if you can find me a good Creamy Italian dressing I would love that too.

• Oh wow! that’s funny, I hope you love it! Have you noticed that so many retro recipes are coming back in trend? I have a recipe for homemade 1000 island on my to do list, so I’ll be on the look out for a creamy Italian too!

11. Love how you set this up!

– Alma, The Tablescaper

Oh my you have me heading out to the kitchen to make some of those Wacky Weed Cheese Straws, and of course we will have to have some delicious Green Goddess dressing to go with it, can’t wait! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week!

Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate!

1. […] Everything Puff Pastry Sticks {aka Wacky Weeds} […]

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

• Follow The Painted Apron on