Take-out Tuesday, Taco Soup Bar

taco soup 6 thepaintedapron.com

I make Mexican dishes all the time but I’ve never made taco soup

I didn’t even change anything!  I almost balked when the directions said not to drain or rinse the canned beans, but I thought hey, how easy is this!  If this turns out, it will be one of the fastest recipes ever!

And, turn out it did!   We all loved it!

HH went back for seconds, he never does that!  HH stands for Hungry Husband and it’s really sort of a joke because he is so skinny… he has one of those turbo charged metabolisms, and is always hungry and never gains an ounce

This soup was so quick to put together I decided to kick things up and set a soup serving bar, which makes it look like I slaved all day  it easy to come back for more

A little signage

candle stand thepaintedapron.com

an impromptu Mexican “candlestick”

a sombrero and some other little touches

Like freshly fried tortillas

PicMonkey Collage

Make this little weeknight dinner buffet

taco soup bar 1 thepaintedapron.com

1 16 oz. jar Picante sauce

Garnishes

sour cream

grated sharp cheddar

shredded lettuce

tortilla chips*

Brown ground beef in skillet and drain. Place browned beef into a cooking oil sprayed slow cooker.  Add remaining ingredients, except garnishes, and stir to combine.  Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.

Note: Can be made the day before and refrigerated overnight, just place your filled and covered slow cooker ceramic liner in the fridge and pull it out the next day.  Because it’s so cold you can add an extra hour to cooking time.

*freshly fried tortillas, cut into 1/4s or 1/8s are wonderful for dipping into this soup

Keep this recipe and idea in mind for upcoming Cinco de Mayo, Ole!

taco soup 5 thepaintedapron.com

for another printable version of this recipe click here

plates, bowls, and covered dish/Pfaltzgraff Villa della Luna

Sunflower pitcher, chili pepper bowl/JMdesigns

chevron clipboard frame/Hobby Lobby

__________________________________________

The Style Sisters

Savvy Southern Style

Four Seasons Blog Hop

Posed Perfection

Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

Between Naps on the Porch

Love Bakes Good Cakes

Foodie Friday

It All Started with Paint

Anything Blue Friday

Will Cook for Smiles

Comments
16 Responses to “Take-out Tuesday, Taco Soup Bar”
  1. Liz Mackie says:

Easy and sounds nice. Thank you!

From: the Painted Apron >To: lizzm@att.net >Sent: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:01 AM >Subject: [New post] Take-out Tuesday, Taco Soup Bar > >the Painted Apron posted: “My son emailed me this recipe for taco soup the other day which translates to “why don’t you make this for dinner next time I come over…..” I make Mexican dishes all the time but I’ve never made taco soup I didn’t even change anything!  I ” >

2. Happier Than A Pig In Mud says:

Taco Soup sounds good! Ole:@)

3. Linda says:

Sounds like my boys. Heck, my daughter too! Love how you made the easy special for him.

4. Emily says:

Jenna, this looks and sounds so delicious. With the cool temps it’s perfect. I love soup, and this one fits right in here. Like you I don’t know if I can get past not rinsing the beans! Love your pretty colorful serve ware. Your presentation sold me on this recipe…………..

5. Karen says:

I’m sure your son enjoyed the soup as well as the way you presented it.

6. fairhopesupplyco says:

Cinco de Mayo . . . perfect! Thanks for the idea.

7. So festive and the soup sounds great too

8. Pam says:

This is a wonderful recipe! I have served a similar recipe for several years. I was a teacher and this was a staple we used for get to gathers. The seasoning even included a packet of ranch dressing! Have a great week and we love Mexican food, too!

Pam

9. Yum, yum, yum! This sounds delicious. I guess I know what I’m cooking this weekend 🙂

10. Bev says:

We love taco soup! Love your plates.

What a great idea and presentation for your awesome Taco Soup! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday today, it is great to have you at the party. Hope you have a very special week and come back soon!

This sounds tasty and hearty Jenna and I love that your slow cooker is topped with a sombrero! Your colorful soup buffet definitely makes it a fiesta 🙂