Secret Recipe Club, No Guilt Microwave Potato Chips

My Secret Recipe Club assignment this month is simply.foodThe Secret Recipe Club is a group of bloggers who try each other’s recipes secretly, and then post the results all at the same time on a monthly reveal day.  It is a great way to meet other bloggers, visit new sites and stretch yourself in the kitchen

5 minute homemade potato chips thepaintedapron.com

simply.food  is a vegetarian blog and Nayna, from UK, has all kinds of unique recipes in her index

easy homemade chips thepaintedapron.com

I was drawn to a recipe for one of my favorite indulgences, potato chips

DSC_0013 2.22.56 PM

Her recipe for potato chips here caught my eye for 3 reasons:  It’s fast, easy and no mess!

DSC_0027 2.22.56 PM

Use a mandolin [carefully] or a food processor to slice your potato as thinly as possible…sorry Lynn 🙂

lay on a paper towel to dry

DSC_0014 2.22.56 PM

Spray a microwave safe plate with olive oil spray and lay potato slices out in an even layer without overlapping

Spray potatoes lightly with more oil and season with salt and/or any other seasoning you wish

DSC_0015 2.22.56 PM

Microwave on high for 2 minutes and then turn chips over

DSC_0016 2.22.56 PM

Microwave for 2 more minutes on high.  See how they are starting to crisp up? Magic!!

DSC_0017 2.22.56 PM

After 1 more minute, 5 minutes total, they were perfect!  Light, crispy and delicious!

microwave potato chips thepaintedapron.com

You can serve them with a little sour cream and chives if you like

chips thepaintedapron.com

Seasoning possibilities are endless~I am a plain salt lover, but you could easily use any seasoning you want

potato chips thepaintedapron.com

Just remember to season well, after spraying with oil and before microwaving.  The oil helps grab the seasoning and keep it on the chips

Nayna says these are “Healthy and delectable potato chips, that are irresistible and totally guilt free!”

No Guilt Microwave Potato Chips

• Servings: 2

1/2 large baking potato
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Olive oil spray

Method:

Wash the potato.  Slice them into paper thin slices with a mandolin or food processor
Lay slices on paper towels to dry

Spray a microwaveable plate with olive oil spray and lay the potato slices on the plate, being careful not to overlap.  One half of potato will take 2 batches to cook

Spray with a little more  oil and season with salt.  Add pepper or any other seasoning you desire
Cook the chips on high for  2 minutes.  Turn chips over and microwave 2 more minutes.  Turn chips again and return to oven for 1 more minute.  Check to see if they are crisp.  Continue to cook if needed, checking every 30 seconds.

Makes 2 servings, about 24 chips

for another printable version of No Guilt Microwave Potato Chips click here

NOTE:  These were pretty popular, so I tried making them without turning them every 2 minutes and the result was the same if not better!  My microwave rotates automatically while cooking, so experiment with your oven and time and find what works best.  For me it is a simple 5 minutes from raw to crispy heaven!

“Look Gigi, they’re so thin they’re almost see-thru!”

Nayna used safflower oil for her chips and peeled her potatoes first. Her recipe says to cook for 6 minutes, so carefully monitor your cooking time, which can vary with the thinness of potatoes and your microwave oven

I didn’t peel my potatoes and used olive oil spray because that’s what I had.  My potatoes cooked in 5 minutes

Next time you get a chip craving, try these!  Not only are they great tasting, you will feel like a magician in the kitchen!

5 minute homemade potato chips thepaintedapron.com

Just click on the blue frog incon below to see all the recipes revealed today from the Secret Recipe Club

and thanks to simply.food for a great recipe!

____________________________________

I will be joining the fabulous parties and blogs on my sidebar and:

Melanie Makes

Pure Grace Farms

The Style Sisters

Between Naps on the Porch

Comments
22 Responses to “Secret Recipe Club, No Guilt Microwave Potato Chips”

If they’re healthier you can eat more… right? Sounds like a fun little snack Jenna and I’m glad to see you using the guard on your mandolin:@)

I’m a potato girl Jenna so I’ll have to try these healthier chips! Love your blind taste tester 🙂

3. Wow. I’ve never made potato chips before. And in the microwave??? How cool is that! I’m totally going to have to make these. Thanks!

4. I will have to try this. I am a chip addict, and try not to keep them in the house. With my part Irish background, I have never met a potato I didn’t like.

5. Marty@A Stroll Thru Life says:

Oh my word, these I have to try. I love potato chips and these sound fabulous.

6. These sounds amazing Im saving the recipe. love this!!

7. Im sure these are amazing! look awesome! Im saving this recipe!!

8. Rachel says:

ok this is an AWESOME idea! who knew?! i can’t wait to try this! i bet it would work with sweet potatoes too…

9. Thankou for cooking from simplyfood, I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe.

10. What a fantastic healthy snack. I think I’m going to do this tomorrow!

11. CraftyHope says:

Holy cow! How awesome. I had no idea you could make potato chips in the microwave. Of course, in my house they’d be eaten before I get the other half of the potato sliced and cooked. Oh, and my microwave is broken so that’s no good. I’m definitely going to be keeping these in mind when I get a new microwave though. Thanks.

12. Veronica says:

Now that’s fun! And potato chip glasses – extra fun! haha

13. I’ve always wanted to try these! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe:)

14. teaandscones says:

Okay. These mite be very dangerous. I would rather have chips than sweets when I eat snacks. I have to try these.

Chip glasses. The new Black!!

15. Sharon from herorganizedchaos.com says:

This is great! They look so good and it’s so simple! Can’t wait to try it out.

Hi Jenna,
    What a great recipe, we will love these chips. Hope you are having a great fall day and thanks so much for sharing this awesome post with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!

17. What a fabulous idea. Thanks for linking up at Foodie Fridays. I look forward to seeing you and your posts again this week.
    Blessings,
    Shari

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )