Fearless Friday, Flowers on a Chippy Chair

Do you ever see a photo and think, “I’ve got to paint that!”

I started with a light sketch of the main flower with colored pencil

Using that as a guide, light color washes were added to determine the shapes and locations of the other blooms

I try not to use too much pencil sketching because if it isn’t erased, it can show through the finished painting

Once the main composition was laid out, I began adding more deeper washes and a light wash on the chair

I added greens to balance the composition

I worked all areas of the painting simultaneously to keep things cohesive, next adding some of the darker areas

I really considered this pretty much a hot mess at this point, and set it aside

Sometimes you get frustrated or tired, that is the time to do something else.  When you return later {hours or days} and begin with fresh eyes, you will be amazed how you can save a painting with continued layers

With additional details and deeper colors, I was starting to like it much better

More details

And finally, a golden brown for the background

“Flowers on a Chippy Chair”

12″ x 16″ watercolor on cold press paper

I guess the moral of today’s lesson is don’t give up! Take a break and try again!

Have a creative day and remember, Be Fearless!

🎨   🌸   🎨   🌺   🎨

Dishing it & Digging itBetween Naps on the Porch,   Make it Pretty Monday

Cooking and Crafting with J&J,    Celebrate and Decorate,

Delicious Dishes Recipe Party   Oh My Heartsie Girl  Full Plate Thursday

Comments
33 Responses to “Fearless Friday, Flowers on a Chippy Chair”

Greaaaat job on such a complicated subject! Bravo! Love it!

2. pattyanneart says:

Beautiful work, Jenna!
    💕🌸🌼

3. Jenna, you may receive another comment from me, crazy things going on. I love the painting, you are so talented my friend! Have a wonderful weekend!

4. I’m not sure about the hot mess at the point you were saying, but whether or not it was or wasn’t, it SURE wasn’t by the end. Lovely, Jenna.

You’re probably tried this tip, but when I freehand, I’ll often do my light sketch in watercolor pencil of a color that is either the same or will blend with the colors I’m planning to use. Then it blends well and you don’t need to worry about erasing or covering up if doing a light wash. I bet you knew that!

• thanks Jeanie, I did try that, using a light coral color pencil for the first bloom, and then was afraid to do any more because I was afraid it was going to show so I just decided to go with free hand washes…I’ve heard there is a light blue pencil that will virtually disappear, have you heard anything about that? Sometimes I do a pencil sketch on a complex subject, but it’s such a pain to erase it! Thank you for your input and support, I will definitely try your tip!

Beautiful Bouquet, Jenna…is it Friday already

6. I love how chippy the chair looks. Brava!

7. frenchgardenhouse says:

Jenna, this is so beautiful! You have a gift for bringing beauty to life on watercolor paper, this turned into a real treasure. Your combination of shapes and colors is so pleasing, you are so talented. I hope you have a beautiful weekend! Lidy

8. You nailed it! Totally gorgeous.

Johanne Lamarche

9. Gorgeous painting, Jenna. I love the colors. Enjoy your weekend.

Jenna, I adore your ‘flowers on a chippy chair’! Such a happy painting…Happy Weekend ♥

WOWZA!! This is fantastic, Jenna!! 🌸🌸🌸 The brown background really makes your flowers pop! 💖

12. Rosie M. says:

Bravo, Jenna! I absolutely love this beautiful painting!!

13. You have endless talent! Such a pretty painting!

14. I love it. Each time I got to the next shot, it got more and more in depth. Love it! The gold behind the chair just made it pop. So pretty!!

15. Julie says:

Hi Jenna, oh this is such a pretty painting! I love the tutorial and your step by step tutorial too. Thanks for sharing at Cooking and Crafting with J & J
    Enjoy the week and have a Happy Memorial Day weekend!!!
    Julie xo

16. Julie says:

Beautiful. I totally agree, if any artistic endeavour is not going to plan you should always take a break and come back later with fresh eyes.

17. What a beautiful painting!

w