Take-out Tuesday, Modern Waldorf Salad

Today’s recipe is an updated version of an old classic,

Waldorf Salad

Waldorf Salad was created for a special event held at the famous Waldorf-Astoria NYC hotel in 1896

Originally it was just apples, celery and mayonnaise, but over the years, nuts and grapes came to be standard ingredients also

Since I was only making a small amount of salad, I made it even easier by using washed grapes from the grocery store salad bar, and packaged fresh apple slices and celery sticks from the produce department

With a few chops the fruit and celery were ready to be dressed with healthy vanilla bean 2% Greek yogurt

Walnuts are the traditional nut in this salad, but I opted for pecans

Add as much yogurt as you like, stir, and refrigerate

Serve salad on a bed of lettuce or spinach leaves

Next time I’m going to try it with lemon yogurt!

Modern Waldorf Salad

• Servings: varied
  • Difficulty: very easy

red and green seedless grapes, cut in half

fresh celery, chopped

red and green apples, like Gala and Granny Smith, chopped

vanilla or vanilla bean Greek yogurt

walnuts or pecans, halves or chopped

Toss everything together in a bowl in desired quantities.  Refrigerate.  Serve salad on lettuce or spinach leaves.  Salad will keep for several days in the refrigerator.

You might also like this Southern classic Grape Salad, Lazy Day Grape Salad

It’s almost salad season!!! 🎈

for another printable version of Modern Waldorf Salad click here

🍇🍎🍏🍇

Meal Plan Monday  Dishing it & Digging it,   Between Naps on the Porch,

Merry Monday   Make it Pretty Monday    Celebrate and Decorate,

Delicious Dishes Recipe Party   Oh My Heartsie Girl  Full Plate Thursday

Weekend Potluck   Sweet Inspirations   Happiness is Homemade

Comments
19 Responses to “Take-out Tuesday, Modern Waldorf Salad”
  1. I like the idea of serving it on spinach leaves Jenna… I’ve been craving spinach lately:@)

2. Jenna, I love Waldorf salad. My beloved Mother made it often and I still make it for my sweet Daddy. Vanilla yogurt sounds perfect instead of mayo. This southern girl always prefers pecans. Happy Tuesday!

3. Almost salad season? Haha…I woke up to a foot of snow today….but Spring better be around the corner!! Your salad looks delish!

4. MUCH better idea than the original mayo, which I hated. This will be in the repertoire!

Yum! My dad and I were just talking about waldorf salad the other day 🙂

My mother used yo make this salad for every holiday. I love your art, too!

7. CoziNest says:

I love Waldorf Salad! And you serve it so pretty! I wonder how many dishes got their name from a 5-star hotel? What a special event that must have been!

One of my favorite salads. I love your version and I’ve already printed it out for the kitchen favorite recipe stash. I’m writing this with my morning coffee and I could eat this for breakfast! Yum. Thanks Jenna……….

9. pattyanneart says:

I love Waldorf Salad! I’m looking forward to giving this updated version a try.
    Thank you, Jenna!! 😋

10. Nancy says:

Looks delightful, healthy and the pecans would be what I would have used as well!

Love this, but have never made with yogurt. Will give it a try, and yes always pecans! Yum! (I like walnuts, too, but love pecans, hehe). 😉

You’ve made it so easy, Jenna, and the Waldorf salad looks so pretty in your dessert dish.

Hi Jenna, I like your idea of adding grapes and yogurt. This is one of my favorite fruit salads to make! Sometimes I add Craisins too – the dried cranberries. Thanks for the recipe! ❤️

14. I haven’t had this salad in years but it’s very tasty and I love the cheese in it too. Great contrast of flavors. Thanks for linking this up with us at #OMHGWW

Jenna, The grocery store salad bar is such a time and $ saver for when I need just a few ingredients instead of a whole jar or bag! Love the idea of the lemon yogurt addition! ♥