Party Panache, Puff Pastry Mini Monte Cristos

There is a recipe on the December Paint Bucket that is very similar to one of my long time favorites,

Puff Pastry Bites from Ina Garten

She is one of my favorite chefs from the Food Network

I love her directness, she simply prepares food well

She doesn’t fuss over things or make complicated recipes

She uses quality ingredients and respects them

Italian puff pastry bites thepaintedapron.com

Puff pastry, good salami or ham, Gruyere cheese, a little mustard…

what’s not to love?

It goes together in minutes

It looks beautiful

And tastes like heaven!

Italian puff pastry bites thepaintedapron.com

recipe from Ina Garten

Puff Pastry Mini Croque Monsieurs

• Servings: makes 24-30 squares

1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, defrosted

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

1/4 lb thin slices of quality salami or ham or a combination of both

6 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated

1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place a piece of parchment paper or silpat on a sheet pan.

Lay one sheet of puff pastry on a floured board and lightly roll into a 10-inch square. Place it on the sheet pan and brush the pastry with all the mustard, leaving a 1-inch border. Arrange the salami in overlapping layers on the mustard and sprinkle the grated cheese evenly on the salami, also avoiding the border. Brush the border with the egg wash.

Lightly roll the second piece of puff pastry into a 10-inch square. Lay the pastry directly on top of the first square, lining up the edges. Use a fork to crimp and seal the edges. Brush the top with the egg wash, cut three large slits for steam to escape.

Bake the pastry in the center of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until puffed and brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes, cut in squares, and serve hot or warm.  Makes about 24-30 squares.

So simple, so party friendly!

for another printable version  click here

You might also want to try this festive Proscuitto & Pesto Puff Pastry Tree

Fa la la!   ♬

Meal Plan Monday  Love Your Creativity    What’s for Dinner?

Between Naps on the Porch,  Make it Pretty Monday

Turn About Tuesday  Celebrate Your Story, You’re the Star

All About Home/ Common Ground Follow the Yellow Brick Home

Tasty Tuesday   Oh My Heartsie Girl  Full Plate Thursday

Weekend Potluck  Friday Features  Sweet Inspirations

Happiness is Homemade    Sunday’s Best Linkup

Comments
30 Responses to “Party Panache, Puff Pastry Mini Monte Cristos”
  1. Jenna, I can always depend on you for yummy, mouth watering food. I do love puff pastry and this is the perfect small bite! Happy Thursday!

2. Oh my! I want some of everything you make!!!! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

3. Shannon@Belle Bleu Interiors says:

Oh my, these look most delicious! The Barefoot Contessa is one of my favorite, too. I have made several of her recipes, and they are always good. In fact, yesterday I made her coffee cake blueberry muffins. Enjoy your day, Jenna!

4. lulu says:

So easy, so good….what’s not to like!

5. I have a love/hate relationship with puff pastry, It’s delicious, beautiful, but finicky to work with! I keep going back to it, so this looks like a good way to try-try again. My family would actually love it. thanks for reuniting me with PP.

6. Rita C. says:

Yum – pinned!
    My daughter is keeping the traditional meal menu this year for the family Christmas Eve dinner as she takes the torch, but I sure would love to see an appetizer evening in the future. She talked about changing things next year. These would be great.

• Thanks Rita! We do appetizers only for our family Christmas Eve luncheon…I was thinking about setting one big table this year and doing a traditional sit down meal, but I don’t think I have the energy for that 🙂 I think I’ll just stick with making a few easy apps!

7. This looks so good, especially the Christmas tree! Puff pastry is one of my favorite ingredients stashed in my freezer!

8. Nancy says:

Can this be any more easier and yet what a fabulous dish for a party! You are always my inspiration for so many different aspects of entertaining!

9. This looks terrific, Jenna. I’m looking for a good, easy hors d’oeuvre for our upcoming Corkies holiday gathering and this one might be it. I’m thinking if I made them at home right before the party and took them over, they could probably just go in the oven for five minutes to heat up. You think so? Timing suggestions?

10. This sounds so much better with the puff pastry. 🙂

I love Ina Garden too Jenna, so easy to follow her. And, I love your mini puffs, they sound delicious!

This looks soooo YUMMY!! ❤️❤️❤️ I love this cheese! 🧀 It makes a delish fondue cheese too. 😊

Delish Jenna, perfect party bites! You can’t beat puff pastry for ease of prep and the flaky layers! We love Ina’s recipes too ♥

I love Ina, too, Jenna! Wouldn’t you love to hang out with her? Her recipes are always winners, and your puff pastry bites do her proud.

15. marilyn1998 says:

Thank you for sharing at #ThursdayFavoriteThings. Pinned and shared. Have a lovely week. I hope to see you at next week’s party too! Happy Holiday!

Looks DELISH! Wish I could taste one right now, haha.

1. […] made Puff Pastry Mini Monte Cristos from the Painted Apron […]