Fearless Friday, Garden Gloves

I am continually inspired by my Monday Morning Bloom friends,

Mary, Pam, Liddy and Shirley

I always want to paint their beautiful floral creations

When I saw Mary’s beautiful vignette with vintage blue dishes,

white flowers, and garden gloves,

I couldn’t wait to paint it!

You can see Mary’s lovely post here

I started by sketching the objects with a blue watercolor pencil

It is hard to see, the sketch was very light

If you do your sketch with a watercolor pencil instead of pencil,

you won’t have to worry about those pesky lines later

Next I mixed some watercolor washes,

sepia, indigo, light emerald, turquoise,

leaf green, lemon, and new gamboge in the center

I started with light washes to establish the composition

Next came more color and some darks

As you can begin to see, I simplified what was going on above the gloves

because I wanted them to be the main focus

I slowly built the painting with layers of darker colors

I decided to paint the area under the shelf burnt sienna,

to add contrast and to make the items on the shelf stand out

I kept the flower shapes very simple,

leaving just an impression of flowers

Then I darkened the shadows

and loosely added the blue pattern on the gloves and china pieces

I finished with a .01 black fine liner

“Garden Gloves” 9″ x 12″ watercolor and ink on 140 lb cold pressed watercolor paper

Thank you Mary for your beautiful inspiration photo!

By the way,

yesterday Mary and I and over 20 other creative bloggers

shared recent creations on a Creative Craft Blog Hop

You can find all the links here

There are tons of ideas for all skill levels!

Be Fearless!

🎨  🎨  🎨

Comments
31 Responses to “Fearless Friday, Garden Gloves”

Jenna, I’m so honored you were inspired by my photo to do a watercolor rendering of it …so beautiful! I always enjoy seeing your artistic process at work. Happy Friday!! ♥

2. Rita C. says:

So very cool, Jenna. Mary’s potting shed display was gorgeous. You did a great job. It’s fascinating for me to watch your process and use of color. Have a great weekend.

3. Jenna, the watercolor of Mary’s photo is absolutely beautiful. Your process is always so interesting. I really like how the gloves became the focal point. Your talent always amazes me!

4. Nancy says:

The Monday Morning Bloom Girls are really an inspiration and so are you!
    I enjoyed each detail of your tutorial. What a beautiful creation of Mary’s Garden Shed Shelf! Happy Weekend, Jenna!

5. Those gloves in Mary’s photo caught my eye, too! Something about the way she has placed them looks so charming.

6. This is beautiful, Jenna. You captured the photo perfectly — and what a lovely subject. I especially love the gardening gloves. Thanks for stepping out your process. That’s always my favorite part!

7. Julie says:

This painting is gorgeous Jenna. I love it and you did a great job! Have a happy Friday and weekend.

Oh, Jenna! This is PERFECT! You totally captured her sweet little shed! I too, love the gloves, they look so real, like her hands just left them. I hope you make this into a pillow, coasters or a tote! How fun would that be to have your artwork, but a picture of Mary’s shed! Awesome! 😉

9. Bonnie Morgan says:

Absolutely beautiful! I know Mary was very flattered that you painted her vignette. Very pretty!

Jenna, such a lovely rendering of Mary’s blue and white post. So much fun watching you capture it step by step. Have a fun beachy weekend………..

11. pattyanneart says:

A lovely painting, Jenna!!

12. pamela says:

This is gorgeous! I absolutely love the colors together. To have the vision after seeing the photo is an amazing talent!!

Pamela | DIY VIbes

13. Jenna, you are very talented! Super photo, continue to delight us further!

14. Jenna, you are one of the most talented people I know. Your paintings are so full of life and color. I’m sure Mary was so honored. Can I be next!!

15. Pam says:

That is so beautiful, Jenna. Thanks for the great tutorial — I have been wanting to do some watercolor, but I have been a little intimidated as it’s been a long time. I’ve featured this today at the TFT link party – thanks for sharing it!

• Thank you so much Pam! I hope you get back into watercolor, I used to be intimidated by it too, but doing these daily challenges has been so much fun and watercolor is quickly becoming my favorite medium!

1. […] for pots with fabric and monogramming. I love her colors and patterns. So cute. My friend Jenna at The Painted Apron is a fabulous artist (You should visit her Instagram!) She painted a watercolor of a vignette […]