Take-out Tuesday, Strawberry Orange Scones

I recently saw a recipe from talented Chris at the Cafe Sucre Farine

for Strawberry Scones that sounded so good,

I had to make it asap

The best part is all you need are a few pantry staples and fruit

I had a few strawberries,

but I also had clementines and 1/2 a pear that had seen better days,

so I decided to use a combo…

A great way to make use of these fruits

Flour, butter, baking powder, sugar, salt and heavy cream*

*you can substitute heavy cream with a mixture of 3/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup melted butter

Dice the fruit and let it drain on paper towels

Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, and melt the butter in another

Put the fruit in the bowl with the flour mixture and toss to coat,

then make a well in the center

Pour the chilled cream into the melted butter and stir until small lumps form

Pour that into the well in the floured fruit bowl

Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ones,

until the batter comes together, being careful not to overmix

Place spoonfuls of batter onto parchment lined baking sheet

{I found it easiest just to use my hands to form and place the scoops}

While scones are baking mix melted butter with sugar and lemon juice

Bake scones for 15 minutes,

then brush glaze over them and return to oven for 3-5 minutes

Let cool for 10 minutes

Enjoy!!

This recipe is adapted from the Cafe Sucre Farine

Strawberry Orange Scones

• Servings: 12

1 1/2 cups diced strawberries and oranges {I used 10 large berries, 1 Clementine and 1/2 pear}

1 cup heavy cream*

8 Tablespoons unsalted butter

2 cups all purpose flour

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1/2 tsp kosher salt

Lemon Glaze

1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1 Tablespoon butter, melted

Place the diced fruit onto paper towels to drain while you prepare the batter.

Place cream in freezer for 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Place dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.  Melt butter in another smaller bowl and set aside

Place drained fruit in flour mixture and toss to coat.  Make a well in the center of the mixture. When cream has chilled for 10 minutes, pour it into the melted butter and stir until small lumps form.  Now pour the butter/cream mix into the center of the floured fruit bowl.  Gently fold wet mix into dry ingredients, with a large spatula, working from the bottom of the bowl.  Mix just until flour is combined.

With a large spoon, scoop or your hands, form mixture into 12 scones and place on lined baking sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes.  While scones are baking, make the glaze by stirring the ingredients together.  After 15 minutes, brush glaze all over scones and return to oven for 3-5 minutes until just golden.  Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.

*substitute 3/4 cup milk with 1/4 cup melted butter for heavy cream

for another printable version click here

Thank you Chris for this wonderful recipe!

🍓  🍊  🍓

Comments
32 Responses to “Take-out Tuesday, Strawberry Orange Scones”

Delicious Jenna and so smart to use the leftover fruit you have in your fridge! I like your easy substitution for heavy cream too! ♥

2. Rita C. says:

Oh wow, those look good! I love scones. That’s a great substitute too. I’ve been finding the need to substitute several things in the kitchen lately, and it’s great to know a new one. Thanks!

3. sandomina says:

That looks yummy.

After overwhelming 230000 views of my last article. Presenting part 2 of the same article.

Warm regards.

4. Jenna, scones are a favorite breakfast treat for me. These would be so delicious with my coffee this morning. Thank you for the substitution for heavy cream, I haven’t seen it before. Happy Tuesday!

I have about 5 clementines that no one wants to eat and so this would be a perfect way to use them up with some frozen strawberries in the freezer. Thank you! I even have the lemon which I was going to use to make your lemon rolls, but will use it for this now, since I hate to waste good fruit and you have provided the perfect solution! Thank you Jenna. Hope mine turn out, I have never made scones before and will use your heavy cream substitute also as I never have that on hand, ha. I’ll let you know how they turn out. 😄

6. These look so delicious — what a great flavor combo! And I love the berry painting, too!

7. Shannon@Belle Bleu Interiors says:

Jenna, these look yummy! I love a good scone. I made a savory scone this weekend. It was a zucchini cheddar one. I can’t wait to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing. Happy Tuesday!!!

8. These look delicious, and I love that you used what you had on hand! Beautiful!

9. Nancy says:

I like how you told us how to make heavy cream! Thank you!
    Great tutorial and they look scrumptious! I’m having my coffee and would live one right now.
    Happy Tuesday! Stay well my friend!

10. YUM! Oh I need one of these!!!! I am going to pin these. I might just need to try them. Girl, If I could paint like you I would be a happy camper. You cook, paint and well, ain’t seen nothing you can’t do. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

11. Oh Jenna… I am going thru my daily 3PM slump and I think one of those delicious scones would snap me out of it. Wish we were neighbors!! Stay healthy.

12. lulu says:

These sound so yummy, and I do like scones. I wonder if cranberries would work in place of strawberries.

I’d surely be loving these, Jenna!! Your painting of the strawberries is just the perfect complement. Happy baking and painting!

14. pattyanneart says:

They look delicious! I need to make these! 😋

15. Julie says:

Scones sounds perfect and thanks for the recipe!

It has been our pleasure to feature your post at Full Plate Thursday,482. Thanks so much for sharing with us and hope you are having a great week!

1. […] you know Jenna? Well you should … please follow Jenna at The Painted Apron. She shares amazing recipes that […]