Creations, Painting Silver

painted silver thepaintedapron.com

Painting silver is very scary at first…you are thinking, “Should I really do this? There might even be a law against it, it feels so wrong!”  I started slowly by spraying the inside of a small silver tray with black chalkboard paint~

I used masking tape to tape off the center and crunched some tin foil over the edges

Chalkboard spray paint

and I have a brand new tray~I added a row of silver dots around the edge. I always use the other end of a paint brush for easy dots, works great.

painted chalkboard tray thepaintedapron.com

The police didn’t show up and it was actually really fun!  The next piece was a little scarier

Alice in Wonderland tray thepaintedapron.com

I didn’t even have a plan, just decided to paint the different areas different colors, sorta like the old coloring book days…

painting checks thepaintedapron.com

To paint a checked pattern you will need a flat square brush.  Practice on a piece of paper or foil.  I use foil when working out my glass designs because the surface is similar to glass

painted tray 2 thepaintedapron.com

Paint the whole desired area with the lightest color first, then begin adding the checks by painting squares, leaving the same sized spaces between them, and alternating the colors every row

tray details thepaintedapron.com

It’s kind of fun to just let go and see what happens

painted tray thepaintedapron.com

I call this my Alice in Wonderland tray

Next I decided to try chalk paint on some candlesticks

I thought these were silver until one day HH polished them so hard we discovered they were really brass

They looked awful anyway so it was easy to pull the paint brushes out for this

I used ASCP Old White, and finished with the dark wax.   The one on the left is before the dark wax, and the one on the right is after

painted candlestick base thepaintedapron.com

Then I added a black check border around the base with a few gold dots

painted candlestick top thepaintedapron.com

I repeated this again near the top of the candlestick

painted candlesticks thepaintedapron.com

I predict I will be having a lot of fun with these now

ASCP candlesticks thepaintedapron.com

This dish had some marks on the bottom that I couldn’t get off but the pearlized sides and golden rim were still pretty so I just painted the bottom

I used my new favorite turquoise

painted bowl thepaintedapron.com

and added some gold checks

painted silver bowl thepaintedapron.com

and some white and gold dots

This silver plated wine coaster was tarnished beyond polish so it got a couple of coats of white paint with a checked rim.

painted wine coaster thepaintedapron.com

wine coaster thepaintedapron.com

In case you haven’t noticed, I have a major thing for black and white.  When in doubt it’s a great choice because it will work with just about anything and any color.  I often finish pieces with black accents because it adds a touch of drama and sophistication.

Look around and see if you have an old something to put a little paint on~it’s lots of fun and you won’t get arrested, I promise!

__________________________________________

I’m joining some of these great parties this week:

the Tablescaper for SEASONAL SUNDAY and OH, THE PLACES I’VE BEEN!

Between Naps on the Porch for METAMORPHIS MONDAY & TABLESCAPE THURSDAY

The Dedicated House for MAKE IT PRETTY MONDAY and ANYTHING BLUE FRIDAY

No Minimalist Here for OPEN HOUSE THURSDAY

the Answer is Chocolate for BFF OPEN HOUSE

The Busy Bee’s for THURSDAY BLOG HOP

Crafts ala mode for WHAT TO DO WEEKENDS

The Country Cook for WEEKEND POTLUCK

check out these amazing blogs!

Comments
24 Responses to “Creations, Painting Silver”
  1. These all turned out nicely Jenna! 🙂
    Kenley

2. Patti says:

Another project on my DIY list! I’ve used the chalkboard paint but never thought to expand with colors. Everything looks great and brought new life to otherwise hidden treasures! I’m especially excited to paint my wine coaster that is identical to yours, love the new look! Thanks for sharing your talents.

3. Joyce says:

They all look great-I am very fond of the chalkboard silver plate-seriously considering doing one of mine-thanks for the nudge to give it a try!
    jemma

4. If I DO get arrested for painting silver, I will refer them to your post and tell them you’re my legal counsel!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

You did a fabulous job on the Alice in Wonderland tray, and I really like all the other pieces, too. It’s a great chance to experiment! I love what you did with the pearl dish!!!!! So pretty! It just follows right along with its natural state of being with the gold dots. Cool!

Jenna~ I love that you gave your old silver pieces new life and am so glad you did a tutorial! A chalkboard silver tray is on my list of projects and I love your colorful Alice in Wonderland version, with some of the silver peaking through… Do you use any special enamel paint or primer for it to adhere to the silver?

• I just used Liquitex acrylic “Glossie” paint because thats what I use on glass. Any acrylic would work, but I like the gloss finish and with acrylic you can rinse it off right away if you don’t like it. I don’t know how practical the tray is, probably not food safe~basically I’m still experimenting! It’s lots of fun though, I have no doubt you will come up with something amazing!
      Jenna

6. Cute Projects! This is all I need, more reasons to paint everything.. Seriously, everything is beautiful! Cindy @ sunsetcoasting.blogspot.com

7. laurie says:

These are all absolutely wonderful! So creative and so much fun. I have zero imagination about doing this kind of thing, but you’ve made me think that I might be able to do a little something. I loved seeing all of the pieces you painted. laurie

8. love the chalkboard tray!!!!!

9. So fun!

– The Tablescaper

10. Linda says:

These are as cute as candy~ Thanks for showing how. Linda

11. Fun! I love the tip about covering the edges with tin foil and using the spray…instead of paint brush for the chalkboard. I have a perfect tray for this in my Etsy shop. I think I might tak it out of my shop LOL. Great tutorial! Came over from Monday Funday!
    Karen

12. Love what you’ve done! Thanks for sharing – found you at The Dedicated House 😀

13. vmg206 says:

WoW! These are so cool! I’m visiting you today from Alderberry Hill. I co-host a Linky Party Tuesday (open thru Sat) and I’d love for you to link up! I hope you get a chance to stop by, link up and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Join me each Tuesday for Brag About It Link Up Party

14. Sandra says:

You are a brave and talented lady. I would still be peeking behind the curtains to see if the silver police are lurking. Glad to have found someone else who likes to repurpose.

15. I can’t find a way to reply to you through email (no-reply blogger) and I can’t find your email on your blog. I’ve been replying to your comments for some time but I guess they’re not getting to you. I chose this older post to relay the message. Please delete it after you see it. Liz

16. Alfredo says:

Right here is the right website for everyone who would like to find out
    about this topic. You know a whole lot its almost hard to argue
    with you (not tht I actually will need to…HaHa).
    You certainly put a fresh spin on a subject that’s been discussed for
    decades. Excellent stuff, just wonderful!

17. Jason scott says:

Can u tell me the best paint i can use to paint real silver coins where the paint wont rub off and be pemement? Im going to paint custom silver bullion rounds for my new website! Please and knolege would be greatly appriaciated, i was going to duracoat the coin first with airbrush and then needed diffrent paint i can use with brush to get small details? Please help?? I need a bright blue, and white paint?

• hi Jason, I wish I could answer your question, but I really don’t know. I have found chalk based paints are very easy to work with and will cover any surface with several coats. Acrylic enamel paints work well too, and can be applied with a small brush for details. Good luck with your project and new website!

18. Kerry Gomez says:

I painted a silver tray with chalkboard paint, but it peeled off in one big piece. What did I do want? I used a brush, added about 5 coats. 😦

• Gee Kerry, I don’t know! I use Annie Sloan chalk paint, and have painted all kinds of stuff without any problems. The only think I can think of is to spray it with a good primer first and see if that works…

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )