Holidays, Flag Day Red White and Blueberry Crostata

Happy Flag Day!

Get out your red white and blueberries!

red white and blueberry crostata thepaintedapron.com

You can whip this up in no time to enjoy today!

This is the SECRET, brush the pastry liberally with almond extract

You will swoon with delight when you taste this!

berry crostata thepaintedapron.com

patriotic crostata thepaintedapron.com

blueberry strawberry crostata thepaintedapron.com

Red White & Blueberry Crostata

• Servings: 6-8

1 refrigerated pie crust dough round

1 cup blueberries

1 cup strawberries

2 T almond extract

1/3 cup sugar plus 2 T sugar for finishing

4 T cornstarch

2 T butter

1 egg

vanilla ice cream, optional

Wash berries.  Slice strawberries.  Mix cornstarch and 1/3 cup sugar.  Toss with berries.  Lay pie dough out on a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet.  Place berries in center leaving a 1 inch border all around.  Dot berries with small pieces of butter.  Fold edges in making pleats every few inches, encircling the berry filling.  Brush crust edge with beaten egg and sprinkle with reserved sugar.

Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes.  Slice into wedges to serve.  Top with ice cream if desired

blueberry crostata ala mode thepaintedapron.com

Wave a flag!

for another printable version of Red White & Blueberry Crostata click here

You might also want to try this with peaches as in Peach and Nectarine Crostata here

peach crostada

Or a “cheesecake” version as in Berry Cheesecake Galette here

mixed berry galette thepaintedapron.com

Enjoy!

______________________________________

I will be joining the fabulous parties and blogs on my sidebar and

Between Naps on the Porch

Memories by the Mile

Comments
16 Responses to “Holidays, Flag Day Red White and Blueberry Crostata”
  1. They all look scrumptious!!

2. So pretty and looks delicious.

3. Marigene says:

Yummy…I always have those ready made pie crusts on hand, otherwise there would never be any pies in this house! The cheesecake galette sounds really good.
    Have a great week, Jenna.

Lovin’ the almond extract tip! Happy Flag Day Jenna, it’s been a beautiful weekend here but heavy rain is moving in… My flags have been put away for now:@) Have a great week!

5. Emily says:

This is the prettiest and easiest looking berry recipe I”ve seen in a long time. Looks so yummy and I love the tip to brush the pastry with the almond extract. Love you food photography Jenna.

You can beat crostada for a quick and easy dessert and your red, white and blue version looks berrylicious Jenna! The almond extract is a great tip too 🙂

CAN’T beat…. I’m spelling impaired until my second cup of coffee 🙂

I just made a fresh strawberry pie yesterday, Jenna, and now I’m ready to make your crostada! It looks fabulous and perfect for a summer treat. Yum!

9. Dee says:

It looks amazing, and I could just dig right in! Love the other pastries too. 🙂

10. Arielle says:

I love your blog, your posts are simply amazing! I just followed you, it would be great if we can support each other 🙂 I am so glad I got to discover you ❤

w