Take-out Tuesday, Strawberries & Cream Pretzel Salad

The 70’s called and said it wants this recipe back…

creamy strawberry jello salad

I’m not sure where this recipe originated, but it had to be in the South…

Only in the South, where macaroni and cheese is considered a vegetable, would this dish full of butter, sugar, whipped topping, not to mention pretzels, be considered a “salad”

strawberry jello salad

I will admit that I actually had it for breakfast one day, telling my husband that it was basically like cereal, full of fruit and dairy 😆

“You’re eating that for breakfast?” he asked

“It’s  important to taste recipes at all times of the day, cooking is very scientific you know…” I replied

strawberry pretzel salad

The first time I had this, my MIL made it after securing the recipe from her bridge club luncheon…you know, back it the days when “ladies” played cards and “lunched”

The bottom layer or crust is butter, sugar and pretzels and pecans.  Use a food processor {I didn’t have one} for best results for the crumbs

strawberry prezel salad collage

The middle layer is sugar, cream cheese and Cool Whip.  The final layer is chopped frozen strawberries and strawberry jello

strawberry pretzel salad

Originally I planned to make individual parfaits, but I was too lazy time was short and it was easier to make it in a 9 x 13 dish

creamy strawberry jello salad

You can scoop it into individual glasses for serving if desired or simply cut into squares

strawberries and cream parfait

Add a dollop of whipped topping, a big fat fresh strawberry and a couple of pretzel sticks for garnish

strawberry pretzel salad parfait

Strawberries & Cream Pretzel Salad

• Servings: 12

2 cups finely chopped  combo of pretzels and pecans

1 1/3 cups sugar, divided

3/4 cup butter

1 8oz container of Cool Whip, thawed

8 oz cream cheese, softened

1 16 oz package frozen strawberries

1 large, 6 oz,  package strawberry jello

2 cups boiling water

whole strawberries, whipped topping and pretzels for garnish if desired

Place butter in glass 9″ x 13″ baking dish and place dish in the oven while it’s preheating to 350 until butter has melted. Combine crushed pretzels with 1/3 cup sugar and add to melted butter in dish.  Stir pretzel mixture into butter and pat it down evenly over the bottom of the dish.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, remove from oven and cool.

Once crust has cooled, beat cream cheese with 1 cup of sugar, fold in whipped topping and spread evenly on cooled crust.  Boil water in a 4 qt measuring cup.  Add berries and stir.  Carefully pour over cream cheese layer.  Chill at least 4 hours before serving.  Cut into squares to serve or carefully spoon into stemmed glasses or parfait dishes.  Garnish with a dollop of whipping topping, fresh strawberries and pretzel sticks if desired.

strawberry jello parfait

For prettier layering, build the parfaits individually before chilling

Whether you call this a salad, dessert, or breakfast, ahem, it is a sweet creamy strawberry treat! 🍓

This is a great tote along dish for summer BBQs, picnics and potlucks  🍔

Perfect for the patriotic holidays coming up 🇺🇸

strawberry pretzel parfait

Enjoy!

for another printable version of Strawberries & Cream Pretzel Salad click here

………………………………………………

I will be joining these fabulous parties and blogs

Celebrate and DecorateRustic and Refined,

Between Naps on the Porch, Coastal Charm, Cooking and Crafting with J&J, The Scoop, Something to Talk AboutA Stroll Thru Life

Crafty Staci,   Tickle My TastebudsWow Us Wednesday

Full Plate Thursday, Share Your Style, Work it Wednesday

Home Matters, Idea BoxGet Your DIY On, Poofing the Pillows

Comments
37 Responses to “Take-out Tuesday, Strawberries & Cream Pretzel Salad”
  1. Emily says:

I would eat this for breakfast anytime, or anytime of day! Yum, I love a pretzel crust for a pie, my sister makes a great one. This is pretty either way Jenna. Pretty plates too…..

Jenna, My mom has made a version of this strawberry pretzel salad for years! Hers doesn’t have the pecans in the crust, just pretzels. I had to chuckle at “70’s called and said it wants this recipe back”, sounds like the perfect breakfast to me 🙂

The breakfast of champions! While I’ve seen this before I haven’t tried it… yet:@)

4. Jenna, I have always loved this recipe and yes, I would eat this for breakfast. Thanks for reminding me of this, sounds like a good one for Sunday lunch!

5. As always, looks delish and your presentation is great!

6. Design Chic says:

This looks amazing – wish I had a dish with my morning coffee! Happy Tuesday!

such a delicious classic! sweet and creamy and salty all in one – so divine!

8. Rosie M. says:

Hi, Jenna! Oh, wow! I’m going to try this!! One question: do you think it would be a problem to omit the sugar mixed with the cream cheese? I’d love to bring this dish to my cousin’s annual Memorial Day party and she is a diabetic (she “cheats” a little, but it might be too sweet with that much added sugar). Rosie

• hi Rosie, this is a pretty sweet dish, there is sugar in the crust too, but you could definitely eliminate that. Do you think you could try using a little vanilla extract to flavor the cream cheese instead of sugar, use sugar free jello, and look for unsweetened frozen strawberries? That might work, let me know how it turns out! >

9. Leslie Anne Tarabella says:

Salty and sweet is a winner every time!

Of course you had to taste it for breakfast, Jenna! Oh, what we must do for our blogs!! I’ve made this yummy salad and it’s one of my favorites!

11. Oh yes, southern all right. It melts in your mouth and I could eat the entire dish. Love putting it in parfait glasses on colorful plates.

12. Oh my…I totally love this salad and had it many years ago and totally forgot about it!…Thanks for reminding us of this great and easy recipe!!!

13. Marigene says:

I just saw this on FB, but it had cream cheese mixed with the Cool Whip, I think…wonder if it tastes as good as it looks? Like the idea of eating it for breakfast!
    I will have to buy the ingredients next shopping trip and give it a try.
    Have a great week, Jenna.

14. oh I LOVE this dessert! I always feel funny trying to explain to people about what it is. you uh, take some pretzels and mash them, them you bake them and put cream cheese and whipped cream, then jello with strawberries but not fresh strawberries use frozen ones, it’s good trust me, I always say when they are rolling their eyes!

15. Lisa says:

There is a tea room here in the Dallas area that serves this and I always order it! It’s so good to have the recipe! Hopefully I’ll be brave enough to make it.;-)

16. Stacey says:

My stomach is growling and my eyes love the plates! Pinning this to enjoy this summer. Thank you for coming to be with us at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. I will definitely be making this.

17. My daughter loves this and not that I have the recipe I can surprise her with it!

w