Fearless Friday, Ode to the Pineapple

Today is my sister’s birthday, Happy Birthday Sally!!

AND,  she is not only as sunny as a pineapple, she was clever enough to live in Hawaii for a while with her talented architect husband and have two sunny children who are as sweet as if they were born in a pineapple field…

framed watercolor

In my quest to become more familiar with watercolors I’ve been reading a variety of books

This chapter especially interested me, color behavior

Playing with paint before you start is really key.  Watercolor is unpredictable anyway, so if you have an idea of what’s going to happen, the more you can control it

watercolor doodles

Experimenting freely with different colors is not only fun, but you will be amazed at what you will see and learn

Lay one color on top of another and discover the effects of building up colors

Tilt and turn the paper for runs and different effects

Experiment with different amounts of water in the pigment to create a range of tones and shades

color chart

Make a color chart for reference

Keep scraps of water color paper near by while you paint so you can try things as  you go

watercolor practice

Do quick sketches to loosen up and get a feel for your brushes

And most important of all, study other artists and have patience…

Marina Delio’s pineapple was my inspiration for this painting, I loved her interpretation and kept very close to her rendition.  I did deepen the colors, used more dramatic highlights, and made the top more whimsical…

I did not sketch it first or use mask, I was just careful to leave the white highlights unpainted

watercolor pineapple

I used layer upon layer of colors to build up the different areas of the pineapple

pineapple top

pineapple close-up

I used watercolor pens and a small fine brush to add dark accent lines

and laid in a small amount of background color to indicate the pineapple sitting on a surface

pineapple watercolor

I love pineapple, I even have pineapple pillows  🌴

pineapple pillow thepaintedapron.com

It’s good for Pineapple Cocktails

pineapple punch cocktail thepaintedapron.com

And eating!   Hawaiian Pizza Empanadas

Hawaiian pizza empanadas thepaintedapron.com

“Ode to the Pineapple”

pineapple

Have fun and be Fearless!

………………………………………………..

I will be joining these fabulous parties and blogs

Celebrate and DecorateRustic and Refined,

Between Naps on the Porch, Coastal Charm, Cooking and Crafting with J&JThe Scoop, Something to Talk AboutA Stroll Thru Life    Inspire Me Monday

Crafty Staci,   Tickle My TastebudsWow Us Wednesday

Full Plate ThursdayWork it Wednesday

Home Matters, Idea BoxPoofing the Pillows

Sweet Inspiration

Comments
32 Responses to “Fearless Friday, Ode to the Pineapple”
  1. Rhonda says:

That is one gorgeous painting! Your talent amazes me! I love pineapples, too, and you’ve captured this one beautifully! Those pineapple pillows are awesome, too! 🙂 Happy Birthday to you sister, Sally! Happy Memorial Day Weekend! ~Rhonda

2. Jane H. says:

Beautiful painting!! Is it for sale?

Oh Jenna! So funny! I bought a pineapple for a recipe I am making for a picnic this weekend, and it is just staring at me daring me to paint it! I so almost painted a pineapple last evening!!!! I LOOOOOOVEE yours! And I love pineapple. That cocktail looks amazing and those empanadas too – but mostly I ADORRRREE your painting 🙂

4. Emily says:

Such a gorgeous pineapple Jenna, it’s obvious you know what you are doing with watercolors! I have not an ounce of talent or knowledge when it comes to painting but I do have a very talented sister and DIL. I have heard the unpredictability of painting with watercolors. Such a lovely book and I love seeing your pineapple tables. Have a great holiday weekend and sending birthday wishes to your sister………

5. Such a lovely watercolor painting! Perfect for your beach house. And yummmm, I love anything pineapple! Hope you have a lovely weekend!

6. Jenna, I love the way you captured the pineapple..,a symbol of hospitality! You are truly a gifted artist! Happy birthday to Sally, and Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

7. Ellen Shook says:

I love your painting — you are so talented! I need to forward this post to a couple of people. I may look for that book — did you find it online or in a store? I had a Rum Punch day before yesterday at China Bistro– really good and pineapple-y. You would love it!

• Thank you Ellen, I have been having a lot of fun playing with watercolor. As for the book, I bought it years ago from the North Light Book Club, northlightshop.com They have tons of beautiful art books at good prices, lots of eye candy, photo inspiration and tips. Hop over and poke around. Rum punch sounds divine, I’d love one right now! >

8. Leslie Anne Tarabella says:

Pineapples are hard to paint I would think. I had to draw a pinecone in art class once, and it was a beast! You did such a great job!

Love your ode to the pineapple Jenna! I would think remembering to leave the white highlights unpainted would be a challenge! I hope your weather this weekend is as sunny as your painting! Happy Memorial Day weekend 🙂

10. Beautiful Jenna! Love seeing your process.

11. Carol says:

What a terrific post. A perfectly entertaining post. The perfect post. I am going to get my paints out today and try to capture some pink spirea blooms. You have inspired me. Thank you.

12. Gorgeous painting. Your table is so festive, fun, and charming. You are so talented.

13. Kim says:

You make me really wish I had a hand steady enough to paint. I feel like I have two left hands! I guess I could do the play part, which is my favorite anyway.

14. Laura says:

I would love to be able to do this.
    Sigh…you are so talented.
    Enjoyed visiting as always-

Laura
    TOHOT

15. Stacey says:

Jenna, I just love your posts! This will be one of our features this week for Thoughts of Home on Thursday. 🙂

16. Thank you for sharing this, Jenna. I’ve been trying to focus on watercolor in recent months and it is such a tricky medium. I’m excited to add some of your well-stated and illustrated tips into my guidelines. Practice really matters! I just signed up to follow on bloglovin and look forward into digging into more of your tips and lovely art. (And the pineapple is lovely indeed!)

17. That painting is beautiful!! You are very talented!

18. I am in love with pineapples. When I see one fresh or in a picture, it always reminds me that it is the symbol of hospitality. What could be more gracious than that? Your picture/painting is gorgeous!