Recipe Box, Mini Smorgastorta

It’s fun discovering new words and terms in the culinary world, and now words like panini, gyro, frittata are commonly known…

Just about everybody knows what a quesadilla is, but have you ever had a Peach & Prosciutto Quesadilla?

peach quesadilla 5 thepaintedapron.com

You can probably guess what tartlette means, bite size tarts like these Rosemary Mixed Nut Tartlettes

rosemary mixed nut tartlettes 1

A pizzette is a mini pizza like this Stawberry Bacon Balsamic Pizzette

pizzette thepaintedapron.com

I have made Italiano Morsi, morsi is Italian for bite, and these are perfect for party nibbling

Italian sandwich bites thepaintedapron.com

And Garden Tramezzini, small tea like sandwiches

cucumber tea sandwiches

Today I want to share my version of a Smorgastorta

mini smorgastorta

A Smorgastorta is a Swedish sandwich cake, with layers of ingredients, “iced” top and sides, and heavily garnished with all kinds of edible goodies

sandwich rounds

I enjoyed a “bachelorette” weekend recently, meaning the guys were fishing and fixing stuff at the beach and I had a few glorious days to myself… 💃

I went shopping with DD, out to dinner with the girls, and fixed myself this mini smorgastorta for lunch in the garden one day

chicken salad luncheon cake

You can personalize this sandwich cake with your favorite ingredients

assembly

I kept it simple by using chicken salad and pimento cheese from a local deli cafe and garnished it with cucumber slices, parsley and a bacon rose

cucumber garnished sandwich cake

You can vary the cake size by the bread you choose to use

sandwich rounds

I used a glass to cut the rounds out of thin white bread, toast it if desired

assembly

I did 3 layers of chicken salad, then “iced” the top with pimento cheese and used additional chicken salad around the edges to “glue” on the thinly sliced cucumber

bacon rose topped smorgastorta

Parsley is tucked in between the slices and a bacon rose on top

rose topped sandwich cake

You can see a method for making bacon roses in a mini muffin pan here

Or cook bacon in the oven on a parchment lined pan { it stays fairly flat}, and immediately roll the strip up while it  is still hot from the oven

bacon roses

Place bacon rolls seam side down.  After the bacon cools, it will stay together in a rose like shape

bacon roses 1

Mini Smorgastorta

• Servings: 1

4 slices thin white or wheat bread

1/2-2/3 cup chicken salad

2 T pimento cheese

thinly sliced cucumber

parsley

1 slice bacon

Cook bacon, pat with a paper towel and immediately roll into a rose.  Place seam side down on paper towel and let cool.  Cut rounds out of the bread slices and toast if desired.  Spread 3 rounds with chicken salad and stack up.  Spread 4th round with pimento cheese and place on top of chicken salad stack.  Add a little more chicken salad to edges of cake and “glue” cucumber slices around the perimeter of sandwich stack.  Tuck small sprigs of parsley in between cucumber slices.  Top cake with a bacon rose.

Can be made up to 1 day before and refrigerated until serving

garden luncheon

bacon rose topped smorgastorta

sandwich torta

hydrangea glass

Cheers!

for another printable version of Mini Smorgastorta click here

………………………………..

I will be joining these fabulous parties and blogs

Celebrate and DecorateRustic and Refined,

Between Naps on the Porch, Coastal Charm, Cooking and Crafting with J&JThe Scoop, Something to Talk AboutA Stroll Thru Life    Inspire Me Monday

Crafty Staci,   Tickle My TastebudsWow Us Wednesday

Full Plate ThursdayWork it Wednesday

Home Matters, Idea BoxPoofing the Pillows

Sweet Inspiration

Comments
17 Responses to “Recipe Box, Mini Smorgastorta”

Jenna, I’ve seen the large elaborate Smorgastortas or Smörgåstårtas. Your mini version is perfect for a lunch, especially with a bacon rose! I know you must be lovin’ dining with your new hydrangea shrubs and your bounty of blooms!

So many great ideas Jenna! You make every meal a party! That bacon rose idea— winner winner!!!!!

3. What a fancy yet easy way to create a stacked open sandwich! Love this Jenna!

Johanne Lamarche

4. First, I love how you spend your “me time” doing what you love! And wow! I’ve never heard of a “smorgastorta”. These would be perfect for a shower, ladies luncheon or a family picnic. Love this!!!

5. Jemma says:

I love this idea! What a darling little stacked sandwich- maybe we should have this for our upcoming craft/art retreat:)
    Thanks so much for the foodie inspiration and joining us at TOHOT too!
    Jemma

6. Jenna, what fun and something I was unaware of…a smorgastorta! Totally looks delicious! Happy Memorial Day!

7. Stacey says:

You are one snazzy cook! This looks and sounds delicious. 🙂

Looks like you treated yourself well-enjoy:@)

9. Emily says:

Jenna you have such delicious goodies you serve up. Any and all of these would be great. Hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend………..

10. Jenna, I’ve never heard of a smorgastorte! I thought you had created that word just as you create so many interesting things to show us! Now I want to make one too. They would be so cute at a spring luncheon. And the bacon idea is amazing! I’m all for less mess in the kitchen! Linda

11. Laura says:

Jenna- I know my comments on your posts are getting boring because I say.the.same.thing. over and over.
    THIS IS AMAZING!

Your talent is inspirational-
    Happy TOHOT,
    Laura

12. Karen says:

Love the idea especially with pimento cheese topped with the bacon.

13. I think this is the prettiest sandwich I’ve ever seen! Thank you so very much for joining us at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

14. Helen Adams says:

Hi Jenna,
    I just love your Mini Smorgastorta and really can’t wait to make one for one of my tea’s. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!