Take-out Tuesday, Butternut Squash, Spinach & Pepperoni Lasagna

This is really a short cut lasagna

pepperoni-and-squash-lasagna

I used frozen cubed butternut squash, fresh spinach, no boil lasagna sheets, and grated Parmesan cheese

roasted-butternut-squash-lasagna

A 5 minute Parmesan Cream Sauce binds everything happily together

Or use a prepared Alfredo sauce to make assembly even easier

parmesan-cream-sauce

Roast the squash on a lined sheet pan, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil, and ginger

The ginger helps balance the sweetness of the squash

squash

Layer pepperoni between paper towels on a plate and microwave for 20 seconds to render fat

pepperoni

Once squash is done, assembly takes only minutes

squash-lasagna-collage

Begin assembly with a layer of sauce, then pasta sheets, squash, spinach, riotta, and pepperoni, repeating layers again and ending with pasta sheets on top.  Cover the pasta sheets with sauce, Parmesan and pepperoni

pepperoni-and-squash-lasagna

Parmesan Cream Sauce

3/4 cup half and half

1/4 cup white wine or water

2 T all purpose flour

2 T unsalted butter

1 oz. Parmigiano Reggiano

Place squash on parchment paper lined baking sheet and sprinkle with minced garlic.  Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Toss squash cubes to coat and distribute seasonings.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Lay pepperoni slices on a paper towel lined plate and top with another paper towel.  Microwave on high for 20 seconds to render the fat.

While squash is baking make the Parmesan Cream Sauce by melting butter in small sauce pan over medium heat.  Add flour and stir until incorporated.  Add liquids and stir.  Cook several minutes until thickened about 4-5 minutes.  Add 1 oz. Parmigiano Reggiano and stir into sauce.  Spread about 1/4 sauce into the bottom of small greased baking dish.   Top with 2 lasagna sheets, end to end for a rectangular dish or side by side for a square dish.

When squash is done place 1/2 on top of lasagna sheets in dish.  Next layer on 1/2 the spinach leaves.  Top with 1/2 ricotta, in small dollops.  Season ricotta with a little salt and pepper.  Top with 1/3 of pepperoni slices and drizzle with a little Parmesan Cream Sauce.  Repeat layers.  Top with remaining 2 sheets of lasagna and spread with remaining sauce, sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano and top with remaining 1/3 of pepperoni.  Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours if desired.

Bake uncovered 30-60 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.  Baking time will be longer for refrigerated lasagna than lasagna baked right after assembly.  Let sit for 10 minutes to set.

pepperoni-and-vegetable-lasagna

HH said it tastes like a deep dish pizza

squash-lasagna-with-pepperoni-and-spinach

It’s a little sweet, a little spicy, and creamy dreamy good!

vegetable-lasagna-with-pepperoni

the aroma while baking is enticing  💨

for another printable version of Butternut Squash, Spinach & Pepperoni Lasagna click here

Enjoy!

🍕   🍝   🍴   🍕   🍝   🍴   🍕

Celebrate and DecorateRustic and Refined,

Between Naps on the Porch, Coastal Charm, Cooking and Crafting with J&JThe Scoop,   A Stroll Thru Life

Tickle My TastebudsWow Us Wednesday  Crafty Design-O-Rama

Full Plate ThursdayWork it Wednesday

Poofing the Pillows,  Get Your DIY On,    Your Inspired Design

Share it One More Time

Comments
23 Responses to “Take-out Tuesday, Butternut Squash, Spinach & Pepperoni Lasagna”
  1. This is a great recipe and I am so happy to learn you can buy frozen butternut squash. I am guilty of just grabbing the same things and not looking for new product. I love butternut squash but it i so hard to peel. I loved it when I found fresh cubed in the fruit area at Public but now to buy it frozen all year will be nice. I also love spinach so this sounds great to assemble ahead. Thanks, Jenna.

• Thank you Bonnie, I just can’t deal with cutting the fresh butternut squash, and Ellen told me about the frozen squash at Publix. Once it’s roasted you can’t tell the difference and wow, is it easy to use!

2. This lasagna takes short cuts on prep but not on flavor. It looks awesome!

Johanne Lamarche

What a wonderful fall lasagna Jenna! We love butternut squash and I buy it cubed in the produce department to save from having to peel and cut. 🙂

I am so intrigued by this recipe. Definitely want to make. Sounds so divine!!!

5. Jenna, This sound yummy! I like the precut squash and it’s easy to find now, fresh and frozen. The parmesan sauce sounds perfect with the squash and spinach too! Linda

6. Kim says:

Yours looks delicious! I made something very similar, but we didn’t care for it that much. It needed more sauce or something. The sauce was delicious (with Gruyere cheese – yum), but it needed more liquid for the no-boil noodles. After that one, I’ll never get HH to eat butternut squash again! So glad you had success with this one. 🙂

7. Ellen says:

This looks like a winner for sure. I have most everything, and I will pick up the rest this afternoon and give this a whirl for supper!

8. Jenna, I recently discovered frozen butternut squash and I was thrilled. Your lasagne sounds like a perfect autumn dish for a Sunday dinner! Saving this recipe!

9. doodletllc says:

What a nice recipe for butternut squash – Costco sells big bags of frozen butternut squash, I was never quite sure what to do with it. Thanks for an easy dinner idea!

10. Emily says:

Jenna, I wish I had this all put together and ready to pop into the oven for dinner. Looks yummy and we both love these types of meals. I need to pic up ingredients and make this, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Jenna – O M G! I made this for dinner tonight. It is SOOOOO Amazing!!! I may have added a “bit” more cheese – LOL . But seriously – might be the most amazing thing I’ve made/tasted in quite a while. I am so going to blog about it – and I will certainly mention where I found this amazing recipe!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

12. Wow, sounds wonderful, what a delightful combination!

13. Your lasagna sounds perfect for a fall dinner. Will definitely be trying your recipe. Thanks for sharing!

14. Helen Adams says:

I will of course be making this and pinning it in the mean time. It looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and have a great week!

15. JESS44903 says:

I so need to try this! YUM!

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

1. […] I saw one of my blogging buddies, Jenna at The Painted Apron, share this recipe a few days ago, I could not resist making it that same […]

2. […] Butternut Squash, Spinach & Pepperoni Lasagna by A Painted Apron […]