Take-out Tuesday, Zucchini Frico

This is a fun little appetizer that goes together in mere minutes

Quite a tasty, lo-carb bite, perfect for a little happy hour nibble

Snapper season was in full swing last weekend and I spent a lot of time on the porch watching the fishing boats dot the Gulf of Mexico while my fishermen pursued their fish

The last thing I wanted to do was to spend time in the kitchen, but if they were going to catch dinner, the least I could do was to make a little appetizer for noshing while they grilled their catch

I grated the zucchini several days before and stashed it in the fridge, so it was quick work to pile it on a pan with cheese for a fast and tasty nibble

Cheese, zucchini, then more cheese

Add some red pepper flakes if you want some heat

5 minutes in the oven and, voilà, a tasty app fancy enough for a party, but easy enough to serve any time

Lo-carb and full of vegetables, it’s a delightful bite

During baking the cheese undergoes a magical transformation, and melts into a lovely crisp

Zucchini Frico

• Servings: varied

zucchini squash, washed

salt

Parmesan or sharp cheddar cheese, grated

red pepper, optional

Grate zucchini with a cheese grater or food processor.  Spread out onto a double layer of paper towels.  Sprinkle with salt.  Let sit at least 15 minutes to draw out moisture.  Pat dry and then wrap zucchini in dry towels and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible. May be done 1-3 days in advance and stored in paper towels in a ziplock bag in refrigerator.

On a greased sheet pan or parchment lined, place a small pile of cheese, about 1 inch in diameter.  Top with grated zucchini and then more cheese, using a ratio of half zucchini : half cheese.  Sprinkle with a touch of red pepper if desired.

Bake at 400 degrees until cheese has melted and started crisp.  Let cool on pan 1-2 minutes to set up.  Remove to paper towel to drain and then serve immediately

Note:  I made these 2 ways, all Parmesan and then half Parmesan, half cheddar. Both were good but cheddar has more fat so releases more oil.  I preferred the drier Parmesan.

My preference is simple Parmesan or Italian blend but you can use any cheese you like

Or use a combination of cheeses,  I experimented with Parmesan and cheddar, but found the cheddar cheese to be a little oily

You might also like these lo carb Ham & Cheezee Bites that are made with grated zucchini

They are easy to make too, and bake into beautiful mini muffins great for appetizers or brunch

‘Tis the season for zucchini!

for another printable version of Zucchini Frico click here

☀️  ☀️   ☀️   ☀️  ☀️  ☀️

Rustic and RefinedBetween Naps on the PorchCelebrate and Decorate,

Coastal CharmCooking and Crafting with J&J,  The Scoop,   A Stroll Thru Life

Lori’s Culinary Creations,   Moonlight and Mason Jars

Full Plate Thursday  Foodie Friday & Everything Else

Share it One More Time   Delicious Dishes Recipe Party     Foodie Friends Friday

Comments
24 Responses to “Take-out Tuesday, Zucchini Frico”

Quick and creative!!

So good and easy Jenna! I hope your fishermen returned with a haul. 🙂

3. Definitely trying these Jenna! How lucky to live where there is a snapper season. It must be incredible to get fish that fresh!

Johanne Lamarche

These look really good Jenna. i really like the little ham and cheese bites idea for Sunday morning. Lucky you having your fishermen bring dinner home……..

• Thanks Emily, they didn’t catch a lot, rough seas, but did have enough for dinner. I hope you like the ham and cheezees, they are great for a grab and go breakfast too. Rain rain go away! >

5. Belle Bleu Interiors says:

Jenna, these look delicious! I love zucchini, and in the Summer there is always an abundance of it. Thanks for the great idea! We love to have appetizers on the patio. I am definitely going to try this one. Happy Tuesday!!!

6. chrisscheuer415 says:

I know your hungry fishermen were thrilled with these delicious bites! Who wouldn’t be?

• Thanks Chris, I planned on making these one day and grated the zucchini and then ended up doing something else so I stashed it in the fridge. I couldn’t believe it was still fresh and perfect after several days, which made it so easy to whip these up in minutes! >

7. Leslie Anne Tarabella says:

Always looking for new ways to use zucchii! I see these tasty bites in my future!

These sound delish!! 😊 You are very creative! 💚

9. I am definitely making the zucchini frico!! Maybe this weekend!

10. Those really look tasty. Don’t you LOVE how the cheese crisps up?!

11. Sandra Garth says:

Jenna these are easy to pull together and I’m sure way too easy to eat. I want to try the little Ham and Cheeze Bites also. Good looking out on the appetizers!

12. Jenna, who doesn’t like tasty and easy? These look so good for a quick appetizer. Thanks for sharing your talents!

I grilled zucchini slices last weekend, Jenna (well, actually my youngest son did it for me under an umbrella in the pouring rain!), but I’d love to try this frico version. I’ve done plain Parmesan crisps, but adding the zucchini is a great idea!! Thanks for sharing.

14. JESS44903 says:

These sound amazing! 🙂

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Your Zucchini Frico looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it! Your post is awesome and thanks so much for sharing it with us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great day and come back to see us real soon!

16. Julie says:

I too love zucchini in the summer and this appetizer looks so delicious and easy to make.
    Thanks for this recipe.
    Have a wonderful week.
    Julie xo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )