Fearless Friday, “Florabunny”

This painting was inspired by some watercolors I saw recently by

Sillier than Sally

Her style is loose, whimsical and colorful, and her paintings are magic

When I saw this bunny, I couldn’t get started fast enough

I wet the paper and started blending the ears

If you use a watercolor block your paper won’t ripple, but my mixed media art pad will flatten once it dries

It pretty much looks like a hot mess at this point, but when you feel that way instead of setting it aside and starting all over,

keep going!

I felt the ears were too short, so I extended them with a few thin strokes, and began filling in the body and facial details

You can create a nice effect with using water drops

Adding color to them by touching with the tip of a paint filled brush

You can blot them, tip the paper to make them run or simply let them dry and see what happens

I was having trouble with the placement of the left eye, so I waited until the painting was almost finished to determine the proper perspective.  Even though watercolor isn’t very forgiving, sometimes you can scrub it out with clear water and blotting.

Some line details and this bunny was done

Camellias from my garden…camellias are the Alabama state flower

They are so beautiful this year!

You really can learn a lot by using other artwork for inspiration, just make sure you always give credit to the artist.

“Florabunny” will remain in my private collection and is not for sale as this design belongs to Australian artist Sally Walsh.

You can visit her website, Sillier than Sally designs here to see more of her work

Have fun and Be Fearless!

🎨   🖌   🌸  🐰  🌸   🖌  🎨

Rustic and RefinedBetween Naps on the Porch,   Make it Pretty Monday

Coastal Charm,   Cooking and Crafting with J&J,    Celebrate and Decorate,

Delicious Dishes Recipe Party   Oh My Heartsie Girl

Full Plate Thursday    Thursday Favorite Things  Creatively Crafty

Home Matters    Share it One More Time   Sundays at Home

Comments
40 Responses to “Fearless Friday, “Florabunny””
  1. pattyanneart says:

Oh your bunny is so adorable!! 💚🐰🌸
    Beautiful painting, Jenna!

2. Shelia says:

Oh my goodness! How precious this bunny is! You did a fantastic job, and I shall go and visit Sally’s site to see her works. You are both talented to the moon and back. I do well to draw stick people that are recognizable. I always wanted to be able to have this talent, but alas it never came. However, my daughter is an artist, so I got my wish–it just took another route. Thank you for this Fearless Friday–made my day.

Swoon Jenna! I ADORE your FloraBunny along with your beautiful camellias! The eyes are so soulful and look like Beatrix Potter’s work! I happen to know a little white dog that would love to have a FloraPuppy portait done: 😉 https://homeiswheretheboatis.net/2017/04/17/guest-bloggers-chloe-gracie-bunny-ears-and-homemade-dog-treats/

4. Ellen says:

My heart and soul, I am in awe of your talent! You make it look like child’s play with your step by step process. Watercolor artists are so amazing…water, paint, and brushes to create magic on paper! Your camellias are gorgeous too. Thank-you!

5. Adorable! Love the color of your camelias. So soft. Mine were red and I generally don’t like red in a garden but in winter they popped. All lost to a virus. Miss them.

Johanne Lamarche

6. I adore this, Jenna, and I’m copying your instructions for future reference because there are some wonderful techniques here. I’ve been painting bunnies lately and while once I “do” this one, mine will be different (knowing me, this will be different too!) I suspect I’ll pick up some very good ideas from your tips. Thank you for this one!

• Good point Jeanie, I really wanted my bunny to be my own, but I ended up copying the original closely…I want to get comfortable painting in this style, I love the effortless way it looks. Have fun with your bunnies!

7. Daphne Thomas says:

I love the bunny!!! You did a great job capturing her – like others said, those eyes.

ADORABLE! Love your bunny!

9. I love the little Flora Bunny….she is adorable!!! Your camellias are pretty, too. I think they’ve been so pretty this year: Our neighbor’s camellia bushes have been gorgeous and I sigh every time I drive by! Have a lovely weekend!

Lovely Jenna. 🙂

11. Well done!! Loved seeing your fresh flowers – we are snowbound after getting over 14″ today and it will be a while before we see fresh flowers!

12. Jenna,I love, love, love the flora bunny. So sweet looking. Your camellias are gorgeous. Happy weekend!

I have always loved bunnies – your painting is fabulous, Jenna!! Makes me think of Spring! 🌷🐰💕

14. debra cantales says:

Great job Jenna! Loved seeing your camelias – I think we saw some in the house we rented in Tybee Island. we are snowbound after getting over 14″ yesterday so any blooms we had are buried. Poor things 😦

How sweet Miss Florabunny is. Love her flowers and sweet face, wish you could sell her. Love the magic you create so effortlessly. Your flowers are beautiful!

16. Rita C. says:

Sweet Jenna, I love the florabunny. Your camellias – drop dead gorgeous! Beautiful color!

17. Nancy says:

oh how adorable my friend! You cease to amaze me!

18. Linda says:

Jenna, your florabunny is the cutest. Gorgeous camellias. I am loving her sweet face! happy Sunday.

19. I LOVE this bunny! And, I understand your logic in keeping her to yourself. But, I am glad you shared her and her original artist with us. She makes me smile!!

20. Amanda says:

Beautiful! I love how you show the steps, especially how to get started. Thanks for sharing ❤

Jenna….that bunny is soooooo cute! It’s so nice of you to give credit to the other artist. i’m going to show my artist son.

w