Fearless Friday, Daylilies

I haven’t had time to paint lately, and I can’t wait to get back in my groove of daily drawing and painting. Today I want to share the daylilies I painted during World Watercolor month in July

Participating in a challenge is such a great way to motivate yourself and prioritize a goal

Right now there is a September challenge going on at Doodlewash, the theme for September is Days of the Month.  You can get a prompt for everyday or just create your own Day of the Month.  I am hoping to participate at least a couple of times a week

I often get inspired by photos on my favorite garden blogs, and these daylilies were spotted on the very green thumbed Mary’s, Home is Where the Boat is blog

I began with a pencil sketch to establish the location of the flowers and several leaves I wanted to highlight

I like to set my easel up with the inspiration photo on the right and a color chart on the left

I began this painting by laying in the background first

Next a light color wash in the center of the blooms

For the petals I began with a dark edge and blended it out towards the bottom of each petal

I continued to work, petal by petal and added color to the leaves and stems

More washes and deepening colors

Final details of light veins on petal leaves and detailing stamens

“Daylilies,”  9″x12″ watercolor on 140 lb cold press paper

Be Fearless!

🎨   🌺   🎨   🌺   🎨

Dishing it & Digging it,   Between Naps on the Porch,

Merry Monday   Make it Pretty Monday    Celebrate and Decorate,

Delicious Dishes Recipe Party   Oh My Heartsie Girl  Full Plate Thursday

Weekend Potluck   Sweet Inspirations   Happiness is Homemade

Comments
31 Responses to “Fearless Friday, Daylilies”
  1. So pretty and what a wonderful way to extend summer just a little more.

2. lulu says:

I love the sources of your inspiration!

3. I’ve recently started putting background first into some things after the sketch. I love doing it for two reasons — psychologically it makes me feel like I’m a little bit further along and also it protects the color of the spots to fill in, gives me a clearer picture of what must be done. This is lovely.

4. Jenna, the daylilies from Mary’s garden are stunning. You are such an amazing talent, dear friend❤️

I alway love to see tutorials of your step by step process. The daylilies are a wonderful inspiration for this work. Always such beautiful work Jenna.

Beautiful painting and process.

7. Rosie M. says:

Exquisite! These daylilies simply leap off the page! Thank you for sharing!

Jenna, My daylilies never looked so good…if only they were as easy to paint as they are to grow! I so enjoy watching your artfully break down the steps as share your process of painting…it makes me feel like I could *almost* paint along with you. 😉 I always feel like a need a little prompt to get my creative juices flowing and participating in a challenge is a great way for me too to get moving. I hope you find time and the motivation to get back into your daily routine. I’m glad you’ve been surrounded by family and friends. Happy Weekend, xo, Mary

9. pattyanneart says:

Lovely painting, Jenna!

Hi Jenna, I enjoyed seeing all your beautiful watercolor paintings in July! 😍 I like seeing your process for completing this one. I like how you have paint samples to look at while you paint – brilliant idea! 🎨👍

11. This is so beautiful! I love your watercolor of the lilies, Jenna. The colors, the design, it’s picture perfect!

12. Ricki Treleaven says:

Jenna, you never cease to amaze me. I wish I could conquer the watercolors…but they drive me crazy! I’ll stick with the pencils!!!

The step by step is fun to see…..

xo,
    RJ

13. Beautiful! Your talent is endless. I always enjoy your step by step instructions.
    Just an idea but you would make an excellent teacher!

14. How lovely! I love lilies, and am growing them for the first time this year. At my previous house I grew daylilies, but this year I’m growing Asian lilies in containers on my deck. I planted the bulbs on the hottest day of the year, and they are just starting to bloom. They are gorgeous! I wish I would have started this years ago. At any rate, even more of them are in my future. Thanks for the lovely tutorial of your work. I always enjoy seeing your art.

1. […] friend Jenna at The Painted Apron recently painted a beautiful watercolor version of my daylilies! Jenna is always wielding her […]