Recipe Box, Bleu Cheese Lite Coleslaw

The other night we had Peachy Bourbon BBQ Chicken and to change it up I decided to serve it burger style, and top it with coleslaw.  Coleslaw is awesome on BBQ pork sandwiches, so why not BBQ chicken?

chicken burger with slaw thepaintedapron.com

This recipe is so easy peasy, and it is lighter than regular coleslaw because it’s made without any mayonnaise or sour cream

All the flavor comes from the bleu cheese so you want to use a good quality one

Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 12.52.33 PM

I used the prepared coleslaw mix so this salad came together in mere minutes

DSC_3728_2

If you don’t have an immersion blender, use a regular blender or a food processor to incorporate the cheese into the buttermilk and vinegar.

blue cheese lite coleslaw 1 thepaintedapron.com

Toss the dressing with the coleslaw up to 2 hours before serving and keep refrigerated.  This dressing does not hold well for long periods, so you can’t make this too far in advance.

blue cheese slaw chicken burger thepaintedapron.com

It has a lovely bright tang against the sweet Peachy Bourbon BBQ Chicken, and tasted so good on a crusty bun!

If I was serving this as a side dish, I would add grape halves and pecans, but on a sandwich it was just right.  It is a “wet slaw” so be sure to use a sturdy bun or bread if using it on a sandwich.

This would be awesome in place of lettuce on a BLT too!

Here’s the recipe:

BLEU CHEESE LITE COLESLAW  for a printable version click here

adapted from epicurious.com

3 oz. high quality bleu cheese in a block, not crumbles

1/2 cup non fat buttermilk

3 T apple cider vinegar

1 1/2 T sugar

1/2 large bag coleslaw mix, about 6 cups

Directly from refrigerator, crumble cheese with a sharp knife while it is still cold.  Add cheese to buttermilk, vinegar and sugar in a deep bowl.  Use an immersion blender to blend cheese into buttermilk, stopping often to remove cheese from blade. Two hours* before serving add the coleslaw, mix well and return to refrigerator to chill.  Makes 4-6 servings

*if you make the salad too far in advance the dressing gets too thin.

Thanks so much for your visit today!

________________________________

I will be joining these fabulous parties and blogs

Centerpiece Wednesday

Easy Life

Posed Perfection

Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

Common Ground

Love Bakes Good Cakes

Foodie Friday

Blog Hop Blitz

Comments
16 Responses to “Recipe Box, Bleu Cheese Lite Coleslaw”

This sounds delicious Jenna! One of our favorite restaurants has a blue cheese cole slaw as a side. Love the idea of it on top of your BBQ chicken. Your Peachy Bourbon BBQ Chicken is one of the recipes I keep forgetting to make, love that’s a crock pot one too! I need a Paint Bucket 🙂

2. The whole sandwich sounds great Jenna! Making things lighter is always a good idea too:@)

3. lulu says:

I never thought about adding blue cheese to coleslaw but I love the idea. BTW, don’t you love your immersion blender?

4. This really sounds wonderful. I’m going to try it. I’m crazy about cole slaw…even crave it at times!

5. Emily says:

This recipe looks delicious. I love BBQ and slaw so it would have to be great on the bun! A great meal for this cold weather we are having too.

6. Nici says:

This sounds yummy! Thanks so much for linking it up to our All Things Thursday Blog Hop! Have a great week!
    Blessings,
    Nici

7. Marigene says:

Jenna, this sounds delicious and your recipe couldn’t have come at a better time…I have some wonderful Stilton waiting for me to decide what to do with it, other than gobble it up on crackers!

8. Jann Olson says:

This sounds so yummy! Pinned and will be trying it.
    hugs,
    Jann

9. Betty Taylor says:

Great looking coleslaw recipe! Thanks for sharing with us at the Four Seasons Blog Hop. I will pin this recipe.

What a great idea to use the Blue Cheese with the Coleslaw, that sounds really good. Thanks for helping us celebrate Three Years at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week and come back soon!

11. Stacey says:

I’d love to try this one too, Jenna! You are my go to now for recipes.

1. […] We like Marie’s Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing, I used the lite version or you can mix up your own dressing. You can find an easy homemade blue cheese dressing from Jenna at The Painted Apron, here. […]