Recipe Box, The Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich

There are more ways and recipes to make Grilled Cheese Sandwiches than there are days in the year, but this my friends… is THE perfect grilled cheese sandwich!

perfect grilled cheese

The outside of the bread is is crispy and golden

The cheese is perfectly melty

grilled cheese

They are just the right “not-guilty” size

So you can have 1, 2, or 3…

Start with sliced fresh french bread, not too thick, not too thin

Spread both sides with mayonnaise, real mayonnaise like Duke’s

NOT butter, just mayonnaise

Place the bread mayonnaise side down in the skillet and top with a thin slice or two of American, Velveeta or Cheddar cheese and place the remaining bread slices on cheese, mayonnaise side up

Cook on medium to medium low heat, slowly, so bread toasts and cheese melts.  Carefully flip over to toast the other side

baby grilled cheese

The mayonnaise makes the bread crisp perfectly on the outside while staying soft on the inside, and adds a little tang

perfect grilled cheese

You’ll never miss the butter!

The Perfect Grilled Cheese

• Servings: varied

fresh french bread from the bakery or deli

thin slices of American, Velvetta or Cheddar cheese

mayonnaise, preferably Duke’s

Slice bread into 1/2″ slices and spread on side with mayonnaise.  Place 1/2 of bread slices mayonnaise side down in a skillet.  Top with cheese and remaining bread mayonnaise side up.  Cook over medium to medium low heat until the bread is golden and the cheese melts.  Serve immediately.

grilled cheese

Oh, by the way, I wouldn’t be opposed to adding a little crispy bacon  🐷

bacon grilled cheese

If you prefer an open face version try these Goldfish Cheese Toasts

You can cut the bread into fingers or shapes with a cookie cutter

goldfish cheese toasts thepaintedapron.com

In honor of St. Patrick’s Day tomorrow try these Gold Nuggets

gold nuggets thepaintedapron.com

Make your own little Pot ‘o Gold!

pot of gold table thepaintedapron.com

Put a little grilled cheese in your life!

for another printable version of  The Perfect Grilled Cheese click here

……………………………………………………

I will be joining these fabulous parties and blogs

Celebrate and DecorateRustic and Refined,

Between Naps on the Porch, Coastal Charm, Cooking and Crafting with J&J, The Scoop, Something to Talk AboutA Stroll Thru Life

Crafty Staci,   Tickle My TastebudsWow Us Wednesday

Poofing the Pillows, Full Plate Thursday, Share Your Style, Work it Wednesday

Home Matters, Idea BoxGet Your DIY On

Comments
10 Responses to “Recipe Box, The Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich”

I’ll have to try Duke’s on my grilled cheese next time we have a craving Jenna and everything is better with bacon 🙂

2. Marigene says:

Now you have me hungry for a grilled cheese, Jenna! I never in a million years would have thought to use mayo instead of butter, but saw it in wither the newspaper or a magazine a few years ago and now that is the only way I make them…but I use Hellmann’s; it’s the only mayonnaise I allow in the house! Everyone should try it this way, at least once.

3. Jenna, we love our grilled cheese sandwiches, anytime! Your version is like mine. I also love grilled pimento cheese sandwiches!

4. Looks yummy! I use Hellman’s too, Duke’s tastes like pickles to me. Up to now my favorite way to make a grilled cheese is with sourdough bread and provolone. I’ll try your method instead of butter next time. Bacon makes everything better!

• Ha, I like Hellman’s too, but all my Southern friends freak out if they see it in my posts, Duke’s is the mayo of the deep south, that’s too funny that it tastes like pickles to you! And yes, I too LOVE sourdough 🙂 >

Truly different with the mayo:@)

6. Leslie Anne Tarabella says:

Grilled cheese and tomato soup, always with dill pickles on the side. Dukes — yes! Made in the cast iron skillet — must. Need — now!

7. That sandwich looks so yummy! I may have to make that for lunch for date day today!

karianne

Your grilled cheese does look soooo good, Jenna! I have never spread the outside with mayonnaise, but I sure will next time I make some. Thanks for the idea!

Hi Jenna,
    If it has cheese, I will love it, cheese bread, cheese toast, grilled cheese, this looks awesome! Hope you have a very special week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.