Recipe Box, Tater Crabs

Have you noticed homemade Tater Tots are all the rage lately?

potatoes

Sounds like something fun to try…

boiling potatoes

Grate parboiled potatoes and mix then with a little flour and seasoning and form them into tots

raw tater tots

Just smash the potato mixture in the palm of your hand to compact the shape

Kinda like playing with clay in kindergarten

crispy tater tots

Mine turned out looking like crabs

tater crabs

Crabs are perfect for summer don’t you think?

netting crabs 10 thepaintedapron.com

Tater Crabs

• Servings: makes about 40
  • Difficulty: medium

3 large baking potatoes, peeled

1 T all purpose flour

1 tsp garlic powder

kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

oil for frying

Place potatoes in a pot of water to cover and bring to a boil.  Cover for about 8 minutes, until potatoes have begun to soften but are still firm.  Drain potatoes and set aside until cool enough to handle.  Grate potatoes with a cheese grater on to a clean towel.  Pat dry thoroughly.  Put potatoes into a mixing bowl.  Toss with flour, garlic and a little salt and pepper.

Put a heaping spoonful of potato mixture into the palm of your hand and squeeze to form into a small log shape.  Place tater tots onto a plate.  Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to cook.

Heat oil in fryer or deep pan to 375-400 degrees.  Fry potatoes in batches until cooked and golden.  Drain immediately on paper towels and sprinkle with kosher salt.  Makes about 40 tater tots.

Serve plain, with ketchup, Bama Burger Sauce or your favorite dipping sauce

crispy tater tots

If you need a dipping sauce, try Bama Burger Sauce, its a mouthwatering mixture of ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise and spices, with some chili sauce for a little kick

Bama Burger sauce 1 thepaintedapron.com

If you’re Feelin’ Crabby you can see how to paint some here

feelin crabby platter thepaintedapron.com

And see Netting Crabs here

crab setting with shell fork thepaintedapron.com

Enjoy!

for another printable version of Tater Crabs click here

…………………………………………………..

I will be joining these fabulous parties and blogs

Celebrate and DecorateRustic and Refined,

Between Naps on the Porch, Coastal Charm, Cooking and Crafting with J&JThe Scoop, Something to Talk AboutA Stroll Thru Life    Inspire Me Monday

Crafty Staci,   Tickle My TastebudsWow Us Wednesday

Full Plate ThursdayWork it Wednesday

Home Matters, Idea BoxPoofing the Pillows

Sweet Inspiration,     DIY Sunday Showcase

Comments
25 Responses to “Recipe Box, Tater Crabs”
  1. Cindy says:

Well now, your tater crabs looks good! Oh I can remember my mama taking our left over mashed potatoes and making tater tots the next day. So, so good! Love all your crabs! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Those little potato crabs are ones that I’d like to try, Jenna. You have made the perfect tablescape for serving!
    I also loved your tiled galvanized tray. What a pretty transformation you made with those leftover tile pieces.
    Thank you for letting me know that you made the raspberry whipped sensation pie. It’s a good recipe for summer, isn’t it?

3. Stacey says:

No doubt, these would be a hit at our house!

Yummy. 🙂

Pinning!

4. lulu says:

Tater crabs….just the name makes me smile. These would be fun to make with the girls who will be here next week. Love your dishes!

5. Jenna, I have never met anything potato that I didn’t like! The tater crabs look delicious! You still amaze me with your gifts and talents!

6. Julie says:

Hi Jenna, these look and sound so delicious and yes they do look like crabs. Thanks I’m pinning to try this.
    Have a wonderful week and weekend.
    Julie xo

7. Julie says:

These look so good Jenna. I’m pinning to try them.

8. How cute do they look!!!!….and also delicious….only you could make crabs out of tater tots!…Love it!!!

What cute little crabby tots Jenna! Perfect to serve up with your crab dishes too 🙂

Lovin’ your version of crabby tots! I could pork out on a few of those right about now:@)

11. Jenna, I want to crunch on all those crispy little bits! Yum! Linda

12. Rhonda says:

“Tater crabs”… love it! lol! They look so yummy! And that tablescape… oh my, gorgeous! Love the plates and stems! 🙂 ~Rhonda

13. Nikki Gwin says:

Man! IS my stomach growling!! 🙂
    gwingal

14. henatayeb says:

They look great.. and so easy to make too. Thanks for sharing

15. Jemma says:

These are so cute and I know that they are equally delicious!
    Great to have you share this at TOHOT too:)
    Have a wonderful week!
    Jemma

16. Carol says:

I love fried potatoes and the the little crabs are adorable

17. Leslie Anne Tarabella says:

Anything made of a spud is my favorite!

18. Velva says:

Your tater crabs are adorable. What a fun and creative way to eat potatoes. Love it!

Velva

19. Karen says:

I like the way your tater “crabs” have all the crispy, crunchy bits to them.

20. Oh Jenna, such a lovely table…I am feeling crabby, so I shall read your post…LOL The crab plates are darling and the color scheme. Truly a lovely table to seat at. Thanks for sharing your fun table at DI&DI. I have to try your tater crabs too.

21. Helen Adams says:

Hi Jenna,
    I love your Tater Crabs, what a fun potato and perfect for your awesome table setting. Your photo’s of summer are so inviting and fun! I really appreciate you sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday and hope you have a great weekend!
    Come Back Soon,

22. JESS44903 says:

These sound tasty and are so cute!!

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, and tips: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

23. Helen Adams says:

Congratulations!
    Your recipe was featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you enjoy your new Red Plate and have a great week!
    Come Back Soon!