Take-out Tuesday, Mardi Gras Gratin

Since Fat Tuesday is a week from today, I decided to call this yummy sausage and noodle bake,

Mardi Gras Gratin  🎭

It’s full of green {asparagus}, gold {noodles} and purple {ham and sausage}

well, they’re sorta purple… and cajuns love their ham and sausage!

Brown the sausage and put the noodles on to boil

Saute the ham in the sausage drippings to crisp them up and add flavor

Set the meats aside while you prepare the sauce

Melt butter in the same skillet you used for the meat

Add flour and stir to incorporate

Add the milk, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine

When sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes, add Parmesan and stir to melt

Drain noodles and return to warm sauce pan

Stir in cottage cheese

This will add a creamy texture to the finished dish

Fold sauce into noodles

Add meats and asparagus

Keep milk on hand for additional thinning if the sauce seems to thick

Gently combine ingredients

Place into a greased 3 quart casserole dish

Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan

Can be prepared up to 24 hours ahead of time if desired,

just cover and refrigerate until baking

Bake dish uncovered and Laissez le bon temps rouler!

This dish can be made with endless variations,  you can change the meat up completely and use small pieces of cooked chicken, eliminate meat altogether and use other vegetables like spinach or broccoli, or a combination

Mardi Gras Gratin

• Servings: 6

8 oz. wide egg noodles

8 oz. breakfast or Italian sausage

4 T unsalted butter

1/4 cup flour

1 1/2 cup milk, whole or 2%, divided

1/2 cup grated Parmesan, divided

1 1/2 cups light cottage cheese

salt & pepper

6 oz. deli ham

12 asparagus spears* cooked until just tender

Put noodles in a large sauce pan of boiling, salted water to cook while you prepare the rest of the dish

Saute sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring to crumble.  When sausage has cooked through and browned remove to paper towels to drain.  Add ham to pan and brown in skillet drippings.  Once ham has browned a little, set it aside with sausage.  Place butter in same skillet and melt.  Stir in flour to make a roux, stirring until no lumps remain.  Add 1 cup milk.  Cook and stir occasionally until sauce thickens.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and stir to melt.  If sauce seems to thick, add additional milk.

Drain noodles and return to sauce pan.  Stir in cottage cheese. Fold in prepared white sauce.  Add the sausage, ham, and asparagus to noodles and gently combine.  Turn out into a greased or sprayed 3 quart casserole dish.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours before baking if desired.

Bake dish, uncovered at 350 degrees  for 30-45 minutes until hot and bubbly.

*snap woody ends off asparagus, rinse and wrap in a clean kitchen towel.  Microwave on high for 2 minutes.  Remove from towel immediately, and cut into 1/2″ pieces

for another printable version of Mardi Gras Gratin click here

Enjoy!

Mardi Gras Jester pillow here

🎭   🍜   👑   🎭   🍜   🎭

Rustic and RefinedBetween Naps on the Porch,   Make it Pretty Monday

Coastal Charm,   Cooking and Crafting with J&J,    Celebrate and Decorate,

Delicious Dishes Recipe Party   Oh My Heartsie Girl

Full Plate Thursday    Thursday Favorite Things  Creatively Crafty

Home Matters    Share it One More Time   Sundays at Home

Comments
21 Responses to “Take-out Tuesday, Mardi Gras Gratin”

Such a creative and tasty use of ingredients in your Mardi Gras Gratin Jenna! I feel like February is slipping away, so many holidays, so little time 😉

2. Nancy says:

That looks delish! I make a dish just with noodles butter and cottage cheese. Adding the other yummies sounds delightful!

3. I love how you name your recipes! This one looks yummy — and good winter food, too!

4. lulu says:

I love dishes like this and fortunately so does the hubby as it seems many men don’t like casseroles. Did you do the pillow? Girl, you do amaze me.

5. Your gratin is a great comfort food for our gloomy weather! One dish and you have dinner is always a win for me! Thank you for sharing, Jenna. I love the jester!

Love your Jester! Yummy meal today.

7. Rita C. says:

That looks really good, Jenna! You are just as fearless in the kitchen as you are with your art, and I love it.

Love how colorful this is, Jenna – and your creative name for the dish is perfect!! 😄

Sounds good and I’m thinking some asparagus might be in my near future:@)

10. creationsbycindynefcomnet says:

I’m going to need for you to quit posting these recipes! LOL! I want to try them all. This looks amazing! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

11. Vicki Mihm says:

I made “Take-out Tuesday, Mardi Gras Gratin” last evening. Just a few questions. The recipe does not provide oven temp. I used 350 deg. Also, do you stir in the roux with all other ingredients before baking or just pore it over the top? I mixed it in. Even so, we thought it was very good and is definitely a make again. Thank you

• hi Vicki, I am sorry the recipe was confusing! You were right to bake at 350, sorry I forgot that. The roux is what the base of the sauce, the butter and flour, is called. Once the flour has been added to the butter then the milk and cheese are added to it to make the white sauce. I did stir the sauce into the noodles and vegetables to combine before baking. So glad you were able to figure it out, and sorry for the omission. I will go back and amend it, thanks so much for letting me know!

• Thanks again Vicki, I fixed the recipe so it’s a lot clearer, I really appreciate you letting me know!

Hi Jenna,
    This is a great Fat Tuesday dish, sounds like a great time at your place! Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon