Take-out Tuesday, Tomato Tortellini Stoup

Stoup?

A termed coined by Food Network’s Rachel Ray meaning a very thick soup

Or a soup that eats like a stew

This versatile recipe uses simple ingredients

You can use a slow cooker or a dutch oven on the stove

Bacon for garnishing is optional,

but if you want to use bacon cook it first

so you have the grease to flavor the onions

Cook bacon in a skillet

If you prefer to cook it in the oven on a parchment lined baking sheet

You can then scoop off the fat to use in the skillet

Saute onions until golden then add garlic and cook 1 minute

Transfer the onions and garlic to sprayed slow cooker and add flour and seasoning

Stir to coat onions

This is what is going to magically thicken your soup as it cooks

Next add broth, tomatoes and tomato paste

Stir and cover, setting slow cooker on low

Now go do something fun for a few hours

20-30 minutes before serving stir in cream and cheese

Add tortellini

Cover and cook for 20-30 more minutes, or longer if preferred

This soup thickens more the longer it cooks,

It will be ready in 3 hours or you can let it cook longer on low if desired

20 oz. tortellini {I used cheese, but use whatever kind you like}

pinch sugar

1/3 cup cream

1/4 cup grated Parmesan*

1/4 cup grated White Cheddar*

2 tbsp.basil, thinly sliced for garnish

Cook bacon until crispy and set aside to drain on paper towels. Pour off all but 1 T bacon fat. Cook onions in remaining bacon fat over medium heat, stirring, about 7-10 minutes until golden. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Transfer to sprayed slow cooker. Add flour and stir to coat onions and garlic.

Add broth, tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir and cover. Cook on low for 2-3 hours. About 30 minutes before serving add a pinch of sugar, stir and then add tortellini, cream, and cheese. Stir and cover. Keep pot set on low. Let soup cook for 20-30 more minutes. Note: the longer the soup cooks the thicker it will become.

Garnish with basil and bacon crumbles

*I used 1/2 cup of Trader Joe’s Unexpected Cheddar which is basically a combination of Parmesan and white cheddar

I have to tell you that Super Boy was not excited

when he found out we were having soup for dinner…However,

this stoup was so thick it is almost a pasta casserole…

He ate 2 bowls!

Here 2 more pasta soup recipes you might want to try

Slow Cooker French Onion Ravioli Soup

Sausage Tortelloni Stoup with Kale & Cannellini

for another printable version of Tomato Tortellini Stoup click here

Celebrate the arrival of Fall with these satisfying soups!

🍁🍅🍁

Meal Plan Monday  Love Your Creativity    What’s for Dinner?

Between Naps on the Porch,  Make it Pretty Monday    Celebrate and Decorate,

All About Home Common Ground & Follow the Yellow Brick Home

Tasty Tuesday   Oh My Heartsie Girl  Full Plate Thursday

Weekend Potluck   Sweet Inspirations   Happiness is Homemade

Comments
25 Responses to “Take-out Tuesday, Tomato Tortellini Stoup”
  1. Nancy says:

Looks like a wonderful soup for a cold crisp Autumn day!

2. Pat says:

I love soups cooked in the crockpot and this one looks fabulous!

3. Susan C says:

What a comforting recipe! Looks delicious! 🙂

4. pattyanneart says:

Oh I love soups!! This one looks so yummy. 😋

5. Sandy Mcallister says:

Looks like wonderful stoup. We’ve been using that word since the 50’s when my Mom made up that word for her soup/stew

Hi Jenna, I had to laugh when you said that super boy wasn’t excited about having soup for dinner! 😂🤣 And then he ate 2 bowls! 😄 Pretty cute! ❤️ I make a tortellini soup – we just had last weekend that is super easy. I use the Swanson chicken broth, fresh tortellini (or the refrigerated variety), a can of white beans, can of tomatoes and spinach. We add a little balsamic vinegar to it when we serve it. Hubby even likes this soup! 😁

7. I’ve had a good tortollini soup but more of a chicken only base. I like the idea of the tomato — it’s so rich and red and fallish. This one might make the agenda!

8. Soup seems so simple for dinner, and yet everyone loves it!

9. Rosemary Moreno says:

OMG, Jenna! I have almost all these ingredients except I only have cheddar cheese. I had just bought the very same bag of tortellinis! You bet I’m trying this! Thank you. I had never heard of Stoup before, but I love the idea!!Rosie

10. Jenna, the tomato soup looks delicious and the recipe is going on my fall list to make. Pasta is always a win. Happy Tuesday

Delicious stoup Jenna…especially served in your pretty pumpkin bowl! ♥

12. helenfern says:

Sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing at the What’s for Dinner party!

1. […] Parm Tomato Soup from Delish was the inspiration for Tomato Tortellini Stoup, perfect fall comfort […]