Recipe Box, Spring Has Sprung Puff Pie

We enjoyed the Puff Pastry crust in the recent Creamy Chive Potato Pie  so much, I couldn’t wait to try another combo

I have found that gently stretching puff pastry dough with my fingers works better for me than trying to roll it out

PicMonkey Collage 1

Stretch it gently to fit your pan, trim excess with scissors and patch to form a crust

PicMonkey Collage

Layer in cooked pancetta, sauteed leeks, and top with 1/2 of the cheese

PicMonkey Collage 2

Microwave asparagus wrapped in a kitchen towel on high for 2 minutes

spring pie thepaintedapron.com

Make a layer on top and cover with remaining cheese

Dish can be refrigerated at this point for baking later

If using a spring form pan, it’s always a good idea to insure no leaks by wrapping it in foil and baking it on top a cookie sheet

spring veggie quiche 4 thepaintedapron.com

My go to formula for quiche is 1 cup 2 % milk or half and half cream, and 4 large beaten eggs. If this doesn’t seem to be enough liquid to fill your pie, you can always add another egg and a little more milk

Season mixture well with salt and pepper and add any additional seasoning, such as nutmeg, mustard, or Italian seasoning, depending on what your ingredients are.  Fresh herbs on top are a welcome addition too.

Spring Has Sprung Puff Pie

• Servings: 4-6

1 sheet puff pastry thawed*

4 oz. chopped pancetta

1 large leek

1 bunch asparagus, 20-24 spears

4 oz. Manchego cheese, grated

4 large eggs

1 cup milk or half and half

salt and pepper

olive oil

1 tsp butter

pinch sugar

*Puff pastry should be thawed in the refrigerator or for 40-60 minutes max at room temperature for ease in handling.  If pastry gets too warm it will stick together and be a hot mess to work with.

Gently stretch dough to thin it out and enlarge it to fit your pan.  Place dough in a cooking oil sprayed spring form pan, quiche dish or casserole.  Trim off square corners with scissors and use scraps to patch dough to fit pan and make crust.

Saute pancetta in skillet over medium heat, about 5 minutes or until crisp.  Drain well on paper towels.  Put pancetta on top of crust bottom

Clean leek carefully and slice thinly, discarding the large outer green stalks.  Saute in skillet in the rendered pacetta fat, adding a little butter and olive oil if needed.  Add a pinch of sugar. Saute leeks over medium until they start to caramelize, about 10 minutes.  Put leeks on top of pancetta in crust.  Sprinkle with 1/2 of cheese.

Snap off tough ends of asparagus and rinse.  Wrap stalks in a clean dish towel and microwave on high for 2 minutes.  Remove from towel and arrange on top of crust.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Pie can be covered and refrigerated at this point until baking.

Beat eggs, add milk and combine.  Season with salt and pepper.  Pour into crust letting mixture seep into all the nooks and crannies.  Add more liquid if necessary.   Bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes until golden and set in the center.  Let sit 10 minutes before cutting.  Makes 4-6 servings

NOTE: Cover the outside bottom of spring form pan with foil, just in case, and cook on a baking sheet so it can’t leak out into your oven.

asparagus quiche thepaintedapron.com

Enjoy!

spring has sprung pie 1 thepaintedapron.com

This is so easy and quick to put together and the result is worthy of a special occasion!

for another printable version of Spring Has Sprung Puff Pie click here

You might also like this vegetable pie

Grits and Greens Pie

grits and greens pie thepaintedapron.com

For some other great great asparagus and spring recipes check out Easter Leftovers here…how about a delicious Ham, Mushroom & Spinach Manicotti

ham & spinach manicotti thepaintedapron.com

Thanks so much for visiting!

________________________________________

I will be joining the fabulous parties and blogs on my side bar and

Between Naps on the Porch

Memories by the Mile

Cook Craft Love

the Freshman Cook

Comments
23 Responses to “Recipe Box, Spring Has Sprung Puff Pie”

This sounds really good Jenna, quiche has been on my mind and I like to use as much local asparagus as possible:@)

2. Sounds delicious! This would be a wonderful offering for a brunch!

3. Rosie M. says:

Hi, Jenna! Thank you so much for this recipe: I am definitely going to make it for the Book Club meeting I’m hosting next month! Looks yummy!!! Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

4. This looks amazing! I have never made quiche with puff pastry, but I really like that idea. I am also dying for fresh asparagus, so will add this to my list of dishes to make as soon as it is in season.

5. Marigene says:

Looks delicious…you have never steered me wrong! I will have to check the freezer to see if I have any puff pastry…I know I have everything else!

Looks like a great brunch recipe Jenna, i love the combo of ingredients and to have ready to bake when you’re on baby watch 🙂 I need to find a new grocery store to shop for asparagus, they always smash the tips when they stand it up on the shelves.

7. I have a recipe box specifically for my “ladies luncheons” and these are being added to the box!…Wow…I have been loving making “pies” in the springform pan.

8. milamyk says:

So many awesome, healthy stuff in it! Pinning 🙂

I hope you will join us for the Idea Box Party this week:

xx
    Mila

9. bj says:

I am looking for 2 amazing quiche recipes to make for my Bunco group in 2 weeks…I would love to make this…surely all 11 ladies will like asparagus….thanks for the recipe.
    here from Treasure Boc

10. That looks so good! Stopping by from Talented Tuesday… and can’t wait to make this!

11. I haven’t heard of puff pie, or seen one that looks like yours. It looks amazing!!! I love the ingredients you used, too! Pinned

12. Madonna says:

Leek and bacon, this sounds delicious for any meal.

That is one gorgeous looking pie, Jenna! I love puff pastry and can just about taste the Spring-y yumminess of this.

Good Morning Jenna,
    Hope you had a great Easter. We would just love your Puff Pie, it looks wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week.
    Come Back Soon!